PDA

View Full Version : Radio Equipment for car

tdw6974
01-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Going to be sharing an in car radio setup with another team (different Class). the radios are Motorola HT 750. What I need to know is what do I need for the car. Harness switch etc. Those who have a vested interest(Ie Radio Dealers) are welcome to reply. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
"Hemi Haulin' Rotary"

Colin Harmer
01-06-2005, 12:10 AM
You're going to need:
PTT Switch
Car Harness
Roof top antenna
Radio Box
Helmet Kit
Ear Plugs

Got 'em all on the shelf...Need some let me know.

Colin Harmer
www.gomuchfaster.com (http://www.gomuchfaster.com)

tdw6974
01-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks Collin will check out website. TW

------------------
Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
"Hemi Haulin' Rotary" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award

joeg
01-06-2005, 02:32 PM
I would like a radio, but I'd have no one to talk to!

gsbaker
01-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by joeg:
I would like a radio, but I'd have no one to talk to!

Don't let that stop ya! I met a guy who claims to have his system wired so that when no one is pushing the PTT button, he gets music.

Let's see, what shall we go with today? Mozart or AC/DC?

G

benracin
01-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Always the AC/DC. That or Spinal Tap.

racer_tim
01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
http://www.sampsonracing.com/sampson_racin..._new/home_f.htm (http://www.sampsonracing.com/sampson_racing_new/home_f.htm)

Shawn (owner) is an E Production Miata driver.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

planet6racing
01-06-2005, 07:14 PM
I'll second Sampson Racing. I've bought all my equipment (except for the radios - E-bay) through him.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

jc836
01-07-2005, 08:32 AM
No vested interest other than I can sell you a spare Racing electronics box, harness and PTT switch. (e-mail only on this)
ANyway, the parts are available from Racing Electronics, Racing Radios and several mobile comm dealers such as Mobile Radio Service (our local shop in Pittsburgh). Make sure that your radios actually have the 2 jacks next to each other like we have on our 1225s. You will also need to purchase a helmet wiring kit and microphone for the helmet. Again Racing Electronics is a great place to do this as they have techs who will do an install in your helmet. (I had mine done in Charlotte.) The hemet kit has a jack and cable.
The jack is for your ear-pieces. You have a choice of foam covered or custom molded pieces. I went with the custom but carry a set of foam ones as a backup. Pricing for all the bits is not low at all-but reasonable for what it is.
For those wondering-the harness has 3 cables connected in a small junction box. Each has a special connector that is dedicated to a function. We found that the cable with the 2 plugs molded together for the radio is very short making it necessary to locate it close to the radio box. The PTT cable can be ordered in custom lengths as can the cable for the helmet-pricing will go up as it is a special.
A company that few have heard of is Otto-they make all of these components too. Check with firms like Mobile Radio or similar authorized Motorola dealers as they will use parts from other sources.
You can use any number of antennas, but I recommend that you get a permanent one mounted to the body of the car. We have no signal issues at The Glen, BeaveRun or Pocono-then again we have 4watt transceivers. Your range will vary but will be better with this setup.
You make no mention of a headset unit for the crew. The RE and RR kits are very rugged and plug directly into various Motorola and Kenwood radios.
If none of this applies to your equipment-I apologize for this input. However, the moderators should consider a sticky on the subject. The equipment you invest in new, used or otherwise now should last for a very long time. Our FCC License is good for 10 years and allows us specific frequencies (they are shared by law) at the tracks we visit here in the Northeast/midAmerica. If you use the FRS radios be prepared for possible interference issues.

Happy New Year

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

tdw6974
01-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by jc836:
No vested interest other than I can sell you a spare Racing electronics box, harness and PTT switch. (e-mail only on this)
Service. Please email [email protected]

Happy New Year

------------------
"Hemi Haulin' Rotary" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award

jc836
01-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Tom
You have e-mail

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow