PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pans

ITA Racer
01-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I have a neon oil pan question. The car I have has a steel oil pan. I was in the junkyard the othe day and noticed a sohc neon that had a cast aluminum pan. Dose anyone know anything about it? Is it better than the steel pan? It looks bigger than the steel pan. Thanks Dave

Rabbit07
01-01-2005, 11:03 PM
DOHC and later SOHC engines had aluminum pans. Potentialy adds rigidity to the assembly.

Bill Miller
01-02-2005, 01:39 PM
May be lighter, and more rigid, but probably less 'compliant' in the event of an off.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

jlucas
01-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Heat disipation is better too with the aluminum , but there was a car at the 25 Hour (Team Orange) that lost a motor because of an off that cracked the cast pan......

------------------
Jeremy Lucas
Team Honda Research
Kumho - Cobalt - Comptech

bill f
01-02-2005, 11:11 PM
You may want to research the pan to see if it has any compartments that differ from the steel one.

ShelbyRacer
01-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by bill f:
You may want to research the pan to see if it has any compartments that differ from the steel one.

Nope.

And yeah, they can be cracked more easily by, uh, debris... Yeah debris.

Also, don't run the BIG filter (PH8A) on the Neon as it will be the lowest thing hanging down, and I'm told that hard curbing can possibly contact it if you get overzealous...

------------------
Matt Green
"Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."

m glassburner
01-04-2005, 03:01 PM
The cast aluminum pan was introduced because of NVH (noise vibration harshness?)it also holds 1/2 qt. less....moroso makes a nice 7qt. aluminum plate(not cast) pan (don't know the cost)as far as the filter goes remote is better...hope this helps

ITA Racer
01-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I guess I will stay with the steel pan until I save my pennies for the morroso pan. It runs about 350. And I will be relocating the filter too. Thanks again . Dave