PDA

View Full Version : Accusump Hook Up

Ron Earp
12-26-2004, 04:55 PM
I've got a 3 qt Accusump to try and help cure my JH oiling issues. I wish to hook it up with an oil cooler AND a dual remote mount oil filter. Question is - where should it go? I bought my Accusump off of Ebay thus no directions or hints on how it should hook up. I should say upfront it has a sandwich plate that does not fit and I cannot use anyhow because:

1) Lotus has a factory oil cooler that uses a sandwich plate and

2) If I use the remote dual oil filter assembly it "caps" the oil filter stem thus nothing else can be sandwiched or attached.

Right now it looks like this from a side view:

%%%%%%%$$$$$$$*************
% $ *
Oil Stem * Pump Housing
% $ *
%A%%Z%$O$$$N*************
A Z O N
A Z O N
A Z O N
| | | |
V ^ V ^

Where:
A and Z are the output and input from the remote oil filter assembly

And O and N are the output and input from the oil cooler assembly.

I was thinking the Accusump should be plumbed onto the line for Z, the input from the oil filter assembly since I *think* oil from the filters goes straight into the oil pump and motor.

Does this make any since to anyone? Never used an Accusump and haven't seen the directions although I'm getting ready to look online.

Ron

Ron Earp
12-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Damn, that came out like a mess on the post, looked great in the editor. Sorry.

Basically I've got four lines coming off the "oil stem" that is attached to the pump housing.

Cooler in and out, remote oil mount in and out. I was thinking that it should go on the remote oil out, that is, out from the remote oil and into the pump.

------------------
Ron
http://www.gt40s.com
Lotus Turbo Esprit
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey ITS
My electrons don't care if they flow through OEM wires, do yours?

Bill Miller
12-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Ron,
Hard to tell what the current plumbing looks like. Is the oil cooler before the filter, or vice-versa? You want the line that is at the 'end' of the cooler/filter chain. Essentially where it goes back into the engine. I assume the flow is something like this:

Engine out -> cooler (or filter) -> filter (or cooler) -> engine in

What you do is put a check valve before the oil returns to the engine. Between the check valve and engine, fit a "T". Run the line from the 'tail' (vertical part) of the "T" to the Accusump and the line from the 'head' (horizontal part) of the "T" back to the engine.

I ran a bulkhead fitting through the firewall for mine.

If this isn't clear, drop me an email at millerwj-at-yahoo.com and I'll see if I can send you a picture.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

four27
12-27-2004, 04:53 PM
exit your block direct to accusumpt then to remote filters and then to oil coolers and back to block. You want the accusump as close to the oil pump as possible so it keeps everything downstream up to pressure and if one of your appliances develops a small leak the accusump will keep pressure up for awhile. .

Do you have the electric solonoid? I recomend that as you can then shut down the accusump as you come off the track at high RPM so it is totally full and then hit the toggle switch. It will be fully pressurized and full for cold restarts. Or if you have the manual one you can just rev up the motor for 30 seconds before you shut it down.

If this is for SCCA racing and you install the oil filter in the cockpit you have to put a bulkhead between it and the driver.

Matt Rowe
12-27-2004, 06:34 PM
I prefer to keep the accusump on the other side of the filters and oil cooler. There is no need to provide constant oil to them, the important part is keeping oil flowing to the motor. Besides, if your oil cooler gets crunched or takes a stone the accusump close to the motor inlet will kepp oil flowing to the bearings while you get off line and park the car. If the accusump is before the cooler your bearings starve for oil as it all goes out the hole in the cooler.

Generally speaking the closer the backflow valve and tee is to the main oil gallery the better.

------------------
~Matt Rowe
ITA Shelby Charger
MARRS #96

four27
12-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Matt Rowe:
I prefer to keep the accusump on the other side of the filters and oil cooler. There is no need to provide constant oil to them, the important part is keeping oil flowing to the motor. Besides, if your oil cooler gets crunched or takes a stone the accusump close to the motor inlet will kepp oil flowing to the bearings while you get off line and park the car. If the accusump is before the cooler your bearings starve for oil as it all goes out the hole in the cooler.

Generally speaking the closer the backflow valve and tee is to the main oil gallery the better.

Matt, your points are well taken.