PDA

View Full Version : Baffeled oil pans - how important is it?

gran racing
12-19-2004, 01:12 PM
For the past two years I have not been using a baffeled oil pan. In the past I wasn't very concerned because the motor in the car was pretty old. Now that I'll be putting in a fresher motor, maybe it makes sense. One way for me to look at it is that I've been running with the OEM pan for the past two years (racing) and 2 years of HPDEs prior to that and never had any issues. So is it really that important?

I recently looked into the possibility of getting one for my car, but much to my surprise I am unable to find one for my vehicle (said with sarcasim). From what I understand, it might be possible to find someone to weld on baffels to my stock pan (not sure who and how much though).

Do most people run with baffled oil pans?

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Joe Craven
12-19-2004, 03:33 PM
They might not make one because it isn't needed. Well, you've proven that you don't need one for engine longevity. You might consider a crankshaft scraper if it oil windup on the crankshaft is an issue with your motor.

racer_tim
12-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Dave, in a VW, you MUST run a baffled pan, or the oil pickup will starve on the corners, and you'll spin the #3 rod bearing. That's the last item in the circuit.

Maybe the Honda pan has some build in features that it's not needed.

What oil pressure's do you see? An accusump could also be used instead of a baffled oil pan.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Joe Craven
12-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Tim, I successfully run the stock pan with a windage tray on my A1 VW, but it is on DOT tires rather than slicks. I had a friend ruin 2 motors pretty rapidly when he ran just the stock pan. I guess the windage tray must help strip enough oil from the crankshaft to keep enough in the pan.

If I go to Production, I'd probably spring for a baffled pan.

apr67
12-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Ran the VW Motorsports windage tray, and the stock baffel on the pump pickup sucsessfully on an A1 for 2 years. Never had a problem.

YMMV

gran racing
12-20-2004, 08:01 PM
My Honda pan does have a windage tray.

What about show room stock cars? They can't run baffled pans unless it came stock (correct me if I am wrong - I'm just guessing with the class nature).

Oil pressure I'm running? The stock guage reads within the acceptable and the oil light doesn't come on. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Greg Gauper
12-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Back when I ran SS in my 84CRX with OEM pan, my stock oil light would flicker occasionally in tight left handers like turn 5 at Road America. When I rebuilt the motor after 30+ races for my first IT car, the shop indicated the bottom end looked like new.

That said, I now run the Moroso baffled oil pan on my former ITC car/current GP car and have zero oil pressure issues. Like chicken soup....it can't hurt.