PDA

View Full Version : aero add ons

a_thomas
10-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Me and a friend of my are budding ME students and we are taking on an IT race car as learning project over the next 4 years. (89 jetta gli) i was wondering what sort of aero add on your allow to put on the car. I was under the impression that if it didn't come factory on something then its not legal. I'm still waiting on a GCR so please bear with me.

joeg
10-28-2004, 12:11 PM
AFTERMARKET/ HOMEMADE AIRDAMS are OK for the front.

They cannot extend forward of the bumper and can only be as low as the imaginary line from the lowest part of the rim.

OEM for the rear--if useful.

Cheers.

a_thomas
10-28-2004, 12:40 PM
thanks a ton

RSTPerformance
10-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Joeg-

Thats not the exact rule, but it works for that car as the bumper cover is considered part ofthe body. on a car with bumpers that stick out that rule does not apply. The rule I think is more along the lines that it can not stick out forward of the body line and backward past the tire (fender) opening.

Raymond "No GCR in front of me, but I have looked into rule as it does effect me" Blethen

a_thomas
10-28-2004, 03:03 PM
is the shape and attachments (spitters) free then. also are you allow to cover the engine bay on the bottom so that is flat

chuck baader
10-28-2004, 04:35 PM
The splitter/undertray can go no furthur rearward than the front opening of the front wheel well. (Other than factory pieces)

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar