PDA

View Full Version : IT Fuel Cell

D Walt
09-26-2004, 10:25 PM
I'm planning on installing a fuel cell in my e30 this winter. I've been looking around and found the ATL D cell (or "well cell as its nicknamed). Its shaped to drop into the spare tire hole in the trunk.
Anyone out there have any experience with it?
If so, how bout a surge tank, what kind of fuel pump system?
Or, any other suggestions?

Thanks,

------------------
D. Walter DeHaven
ITS BMW e30

itmanta
09-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Yes, I installed a 12 gallon well cell in my Volvo ITE car. I used the "black box" that ATL cells as a baffled system inside the cell I use a low pressure feed pump (12psi)to feed the stock high pressure pump. You could also just use a high pressure high vollume pump in the surge tank. Installation is sweet with no problems on track at all. I do not have access to my pictures right now or I would post them.

------------------
Peter Linssen
ITE Volvo 740 Turbo
ITB Opel Manta
www.mvpvolvo.com
Oregon Region

JeffYoung
09-27-2004, 06:38 AM
Same here, I have the ATL well cell. Fits nice, and doesn't move around at all. Weight is low, much lower than the stock tank location (although within the 12" rule). A little farther back and exposed, but so it goes.

I run carbs and have a low pressure Holley blue, but have no problems with fuel cut out even without a surge tank. Also heard this weekend of a racer's trick: simply install another fuel filter in the line but leave the element out. There's enough fuel in the filter body to serve as a surge.

Jeff

Ron Earp
09-27-2004, 07:49 AM
: simply install another fuel filter in the line but leave the element out. There's enough fuel in the filter body to serve as a surge.
Jeff[/B]

If you've got the big canister filters. I know of one track GT40 that uses two of these things and it works well, the poor mans surge pot in a way. Although I suppose some heniously long sweeper could cause problems.

Question - fuel cell located within 12" of the stock location. In my car the stock location is the trunk, that has a completely flat floor, and it is located about 15" behind the driver. Could I put a fuel cell underneth the trunk, effectively putting it outside the car? People are really going to laugh when they see where the stock JH fuel tank is, Jeff doesn't even think the tech inspector will believe it.

------------------
Ron
http://www.gt40s.com
Lotus Turbo Esprit
BMW E36 M3
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!

mlytle
09-27-2004, 12:31 PM
trunk fuel cell in an e30 "may" be safer, but is definitely not in a good location. can't beat the stock location of the bottom of the car and in front of the rear axle.

marshall
ex-its e30 driver

JeffYoung
09-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Ron, yes, you can go under the trunk. The way this rule is interpreted in La-La IT Land is that if any part of the cell is within 12" of any part of where the stock fuel tank used to be, you are ok. So, conceivably, you could put it in a side car if you wanted.

racer_tim
09-27-2004, 04:36 PM
I did a Fuel Safe cell into the spare tire well of my Rabbit when I converted to Limited Prep G Production.

Yes, you WILL need some kind of sump tank because the Fuel Injection needs position pressure all of the time.

What I did was purchase an external tank from Summit Racing, P/N SUM-300101, and added 2 additional fittings to the top. I now run a Facet electric pump between it and the cell.

So the connections are as follows: 1st one on top comes from the pump / cell. 2nd one on top is the return FI line from the motor, 3rd one on top returns to the cell. 1 on the bottom feeds the stock Bosch electric (stock) fuel pump.

the only thing I need to do is mount it up a little higher, so off road excursions won't damage the bottom connection / line.

Pictures of the cell, sump tank, etc:

http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/2002/

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

chuck baader
09-27-2004, 08:44 PM
What Marshall said, DOUBLE!!!

------------------
Chuck Baader