PDA

View Full Version : Tokico Gas Shocks

Motor City Hamilton
09-27-2004, 01:25 PM
The ITC Honda Civic that I purchased came with a set of Tokico adjustable gas shocks. I can tell that there are 5 adjustment choices, but I'm not sure which is stiffest and which is lightest. I think this is a fairly old set because there are no numbers or markings for the adjustments, like the ones I saw on Tokico's website. There is one good reference point on each shock - a flat spot or notch on the sides (no threads).

Let's just say that we look at the shock shaft from above and put this threadless flat spot on top, at the 12 o'clock position. I am guessing that #1 would be at about 2:00, #2 at about 4:00, #3 at 6:00, #4 at 8:00 and #5 at 10:00. Am I correct in assuming that #1 is the least dampened and #5 is the most dampened?

Just for fun. Any good sources to learn more about shocks and handling. I know a bit, but could stand to learn more. Most websites just cover oval. Haven't found much on roadcourse.

Thanks.

lateapex911
09-27-2004, 07:28 PM
You are correct in your presumtions.

You can also tell if you remove them from the car, by pushing and releasing. You might want to do that to see if they are consistant with each other, and that the settings are making a difference.

Use a stop watch on the release....poor mans shock dyno. Its only good to spot the standout defective one!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Tyson
09-27-2004, 07:43 PM
youre just missing the plastic adjustment pieces. you can call tokico customer service directly and ask for the adjustment thingies, theyve sent me and others a set for free.