PDA

View Full Version : Engine builder/Machine shop Question

captdanh
07-08-2004, 06:52 AM
I am looking into possibly buying a Toyota MR2 for ITA. A friend of mine says that the 4AGE engine is expensive to build, compared to other IT motors.
I would like to talk to an engine builder or machine shop that can give me the straight story.
Preferably someone who is a racer or builds IT motors. I would hate to take it to just anyone and then find out in the tech shed, after a race, that something is illegal, then get DQ'd, and be labeled a cheater.
I'm in South Florida, and would prefer someone local. However if the price is right, including shipping, I would be willing to send it out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

------------------
Dan Heath

[This message has been edited by captdanh (edited July 08, 2004).]

joeg
07-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Dan--The only price differences in an IT motor is the price of parts.

Machine work is pretty much priced by task. In other words a 4 cyl. bore and hone, etc. does not cost more by make of engine.

That being said, however, you are always better off finding someone experienced in building a particular motor, more so because he has accumulated experience and some odd-ball parts.

You will be able to find such a person, but more likely in California. Shipping motors around is far too costly. Thus, just get references to machine shops and builders from any racers in your area (ovals, drags, etc.) and visit their shops and talk about your motor and see if they want to handle it.

Bring your rule book too.
Cheers.

gran racing
07-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Dan,

I honestly wouldn't spend the money to build a ITA MR2 engine. (You're talking about the ~'87 year one, right?) Now if it moves to ITB, that is a totally different story.

Do you already have the race car? If not, I would recommend you either purchase a different car or just race the car with a stock engine. Also, write the comp board for the car to be reclassed - with a higher weight of course. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Speak with Jake about his MR2 if you'd like some additional info. on it. And yes, I am familiar with the MR2. I'm also not saying it is a bad car. It is actually a great car for many reasons. Just not in ITA or for someone looking build a car / engine.

PDoane
07-12-2004, 06:17 AM
I agree that the MR2 in ITA is not competitive. As far as I know, parts aren't that much more than any other IT motor and machining costs are pretty standard (depending on how tight your tolerances are).

Check http://www.tedcomponents.com/index.htm for more 4AGE info

Check http://www.mr2oc.com/ for anything MR2 related.

Peter

captdanh
07-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I apreciate it. I know the MR2 is not competetive in ITA. But my neighbor has a nice one with a tired motor for 800.00. And I just like MR2's.
I have been racing since 2001. H Production. One thing I learned very early on, is that no matter what you drive, or what class you race in, for the most part, with few exceptions, the guys that run up front spend the most money.
I can't be that person, so I'll be happy with a reliable (relatively speaking) car that I like, and can have fun with.
I know that other MR2 drivers are asking the CRB for a reclass to ITB. Would it be appropriate for me to ask as well, even if I don't race one yet?

x-ring
07-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Sure, why not? If you know a car is classed inappropriately, why would you build it? From that, I would think a good number of re-class requests would come from someone who doesn't currently run that particular car.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

gran racing
07-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Dan,

I hear you BUT why start with a disadvantage? Plus it sounds like the car hasn't begun the build phase yet and there are a bunch of cars that can be bought for $800 esp. since the motor doesn't have to be in great condition (if being built).

I know, you're gonna build it anyways. The big plusses for the car is the awesome weight distribution on the car. It is extremely (make me sick) easy on tires. I always get a little pissy when Jake mentions how long he has been using is tires. Jake, what - 1 1/2 seasons on 4 Toyos? 2 years on brake pads?

Definately write the comp board. Why not? If I were writing the letter, I'd increase the weight a bit. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

gran racing
07-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Something else to ponder...An unbuilt engine in an ITA integra will be faster then an MR2 with a fully race built engine.

(But it would be a great ITB car!)

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude