PDA

View Full Version : Ear plugs

Wayne
06-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Where do you guys get your custom fitted ear plugs made? I'd like to get a set I could use with the helmet, and under a set of ear muffs when I shoot competition. I'm tired of the foam plugs. Do these fitted ear plugs come with any type of db rating? The db rating is probably not terribly critical for racing, but it is for shooting.

Anybody still have the kind that hook up to your radio, or do you just pipe your radio into the helmet itself/

Thanks
Wayne

Blix
06-08-2004, 12:51 AM
www.sampsonracing.com (http://www.sampsonracing.com)

Shawn (Sean?) is a fellow racer, and a great guy. He sells the kit, and some ofther place makes them. The fit is as good as the mold you take. Take your time, jam it WAY in there. They add the minispeakers and plug etc, and you get hearing protectoin AND a great radio signal. The side benefit is that you can plug into nearly anyone's radio who you share a car with, AND you can turn the volume down on the radio and so the battery lasts longer in enduros.

E

whenry
06-08-2004, 04:50 PM
I just had an ear dr make me a mold that I can then glue a standard ear piece into the back. It has worked for over 10 yrs. I just wear a soft rubber type ear piece in my other ear. Im probably one of the few rotary racers who can still hear after yrs of racing.

John Herman
06-09-2004, 08:32 PM
I went to the hearing center at the local Sears store, you know, the one jammed way in the corner that you never notice. They made the molds, then I sent them to the radio supplier, who made earpieces for the radio. I imagine if I wanted ear plugs only, the plain molds would have worked great. I think the guy did it for free, just cause he thought it was cool I raced and it was a slow morning.

jc836
06-10-2004, 05:10 AM
Great suggestion. An alternate is to have Racing Electronics send you the kit and you can then return it to them to have the pieces made. Our custom ones were done when we bought the radios. If you need the transducers they will mold them in as well. The setup works great. They do have both an 800# and online catalog.
Another idea for those who are not in need of talking to crew-HD sells the foam plugs and I have used them-very good and they are throw away.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited June 10, 2004).]

Wayne
06-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Are there any published db ratings for the custom molded w/speaker ear pieces?

jc836
06-10-2004, 06:26 PM
I would chat with the folks at Racing Electronics about this one. They can put you in touch if need be. As far as my experience over the past 2 years with this setup I can say it definitely makes driving the car easier noise wise. This compared to plain foam inserts is much nicer overall. My only complaint is that they can feel tight with the helmet on <G>.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow