PDA

View Full Version : Different pulleys - how much does it help?

gran racing
05-05-2004, 08:52 PM
Alright, with the discussion of if we should allow crank shaft pulleys in IT, I need to ask how much do aftermarket pulleys help? I realize that it may help in acceleration from a start, but what about when at higher speeds? Do you notice a difference using different pulleys? (Not just talking about crank shaft pulleys)

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

Quickshoe
05-05-2004, 09:29 PM
While reducing the speed of the accessories may save HP the primary benifit for many of us is the reduced speed of the accessories.

Keep in mind that our cars' stock cooling systems had to be adequate in stop and go traffic combined with low rpms and high ambient temps.

Geo
05-06-2004, 02:08 AM
OK, technically low mass components don't add hp. However, they do spin up faster, leading to quicker acceleration that will show up on an inertial dyno as a hp increase.

On the SR20DE engine found in the Sentra SE-R and NX2000 they are known to "add" around 7 hp at the wheels, give or take a hp. This is a repeatable, documented gain under controlled testing.

A really good friend of mine is an engineer for Nissan and he claims 90% of this "gain" is due to changing to the low mass main pulley.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

Greg Amy
05-06-2004, 09:40 AM
George, I find that extremely hard to believe. 7 hp? No way. Our own dyno testing does not suggest that at all; maybe a couple on a good day.

For the Nissan SR20DE, the biggest advantage is slowing down the water pump and power steering pump. The SR20DE has a very big problem with coolant cavitation at the water pump at high RPMs, and is susceptible to near-hydro lock at times. Further, the power steering fluid gets literally beaten to death, getting so hot that it deforms and almost melts the power steering lines.

Since there was never a non-power steering NX2000 or Sentra SE-R, we gotta run it (and we replaced our lines with stainless-braided Teflon.) To accomdate the water pump we found that the Nissan Stanza pulley was larger and *almost* fit, so we modified it to slow down the water pump (but it could really use some more...)

GregA

Geo
05-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by grega:
George, I find that extremely hard to believe. 7 hp? No way. Our own dyno testing does not suggest that at all; maybe a couple on a good day.

Have you dyno tested the full set?

These results have been reported from multiple people. It's not a one-time dyno glitch.

For the Nissan SR20DE, the biggest advantage is slowing down the water pump and power steering pump.

It's certain a big advantage, but there is a hp advantage.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Greg Amy
05-06-2004, 11:47 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Have you dyno tested the full set?</font>

"The full set" of what? We've dynoed it with all accessories DISCONNECTED and it didn't make significantly more horsepower, maybe a couple due to the reduced drag of the water pump and power steering pump. It only takes a couple of ponies to run those accessories in ANY car.

I strongly suspect these guys you are referring to are using a DynoJet for "horsepower" testing. The DynoJet is wholly dependant on measuring the acceleration of the drivetrain, which is strongly influenced by rotating mass. We do our testing on DynoPacks, which are hub-mounted (eliminating friction, rolling resistance, and rotating mass issues with tires and wheels) and works against a hydraulic load that can be adjusted to control the rate of acceleration (further reducing issues with rotating mass).

In fact, we have a running joke at the complex where the race shop is; when someone comes back bragging about a dyno run, we ask them if that scale was in "horsepowers" or "DynoJets".

http://www.melfab.com.au/dynopack/

Please be careful tossing around numbers like that; it may mislead ITAC and CompBoard members into inaccurate assumptions and incorrect decisions...

GA

Geo
05-06-2004, 07:14 PM
"The full set" of what? We've dynoed it with all accessories DISCONNECTED and it didn't make significantly more horsepower, maybe a couple due to the reduced drag of the water pump and power steering pump. It only takes a couple of ponies to run those accessories in ANY car.

So.... You didn't install an aluminum main pulley eh? Your argument makes zero sense. The debate going on is about replacement main pulleys.

I strongly suspect these guys you are referring to are using a DynoJet for "horsepower" testing. The DynoJet is wholly dependant on measuring the acceleration of the drivetrain, which is strongly influenced by rotating mass.

Did you even read my first post in this thread or are you just choosing to ignore it. I already prefaced my response that low mass components do not technically add hp, but they spin up faster which shows as hp on an inertial dyno.

Please be careful tossing around numbers like that; it may mislead ITAC and CompBoard members into inaccurate assumptions and incorrect decisions...

Greg, I have done nothing to mislead anyone. Low mass pulleys (mainly the main pulley) will spin up faster. It does have an effect beyond reducing the rpm of the accessories. I think my post does more to inform. Don't even try to convince me that all the underdrive pulleys do is reduce accessory rpms. It's absolutely not true. And that my friend is the point.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Geo
05-06-2004, 07:17 PM
A big oops here. I went back and reread my second post and I did say there is a hp advantage. This is wrong. The engine will spin up more quickly and thus accelerate more quickly, as if there were more hp.

My apologies about the confusion and my apologies to Greg. I created the confusion myself.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Greg Amy
05-06-2004, 11:26 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...And that my friend is the point.</font>

No, George, that's your point. My point is I want to stop cavitating my engine coolant and melting my power steering hoses, but I can't because of a stooopid Improved Touring rule that is being supported by hearsay, superstition, and witchcraft/pixie dust.

GA

P.S. My apologies to those that may find the items in italics redundant...

Geo
05-07-2004, 12:17 AM
No, George, that's your point. My point is I want to stop cavitating my engine coolant and melting my power steering hoses, but I can't because of a stooopid Improved Touring rule that is being supported by hearsay, superstition, and witchcraft/pixie dust.

But it's not witchcraft and pixie dust. Low mass components accelerate faster than stock parts. There is another consequence to allowing alternate main pulleys if we allow removal of the harmonic balancers.

You can go on and on and try to discredit me because I talked about the "gain" in hp, but the effect of a full underdrive pulley set on acceleration with a SR20DE is the same as if we did add 7 hp.

This topic is not as simple as some would have us believe.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited May 07, 2004).]

Banzai240
05-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Geo:
This topic is not as simple as some would have us believe.

I don't think it's as complex as some would have us believe either...

Simply put... some would benefit, and some wouldn't... Just like EVERY other allowance in IT. 7hp isn't going to bring the IT world to a screeching halt, and, once again, I'll go back to my standard line...

...I doubt that 90% of us actually have the ability and talent to utilize the difference in the first place...

I think this change makes sense, and it would be simple to put wording in to restrict those whose pulleys happen to be integral with the balancer from replacing them, if that's really an issue...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

Geo
05-07-2004, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Banzai240:
7hp isn't going to bring the IT world to a screeching halt

No, but it is a big number given the currently restrictive IT rules.

I think this change makes sense, and it would be simple to put wording in to restrict those whose pulleys happen to be integral with the balancer from replacing them, if that's really an issue...

I don't think it does make sense. Why do we suddenly need to do this? It's not like the ECU issue that was unpoliceable. IMHO it's rules creep that is unnecessary.

The complexity comes in the question of what exactly do we allow?

1. Either the main pulley OR the accessory pulleys as was requested?

2. All pulleys?

3. Only main pulleys that are not integral with the harmonic balancer?

4. Either main pulleys (must leave the HB) OR the accessories?

5. Change all the pulleys, but the harmonic balancer must stay?

It is more complex because there are many scenarios here. What exactly do we do without ending up with serious unintended consequenses?

As for me, full pulley sets are readily available for my car, so from a personal level, I couldn't care less. A set of pulleys is a drop in the bucket compared with a lot of the things I'm allowed.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Banzai240
05-07-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm likely to step on my own <insert bodypart here> with this comment, but far be it for me to resist a chance to step on my...

These are race cars... not SS cars, not T2 cars, but Improved Touring Race cars...

We don't go get groceries in them, and they aren't required to be driven to the track...

We are already allowing EVERY other pulley to be changed, except the ONE pulley that would eliminate the need for the others to be changed. For many, it would be simpler, cheaper, and more readily available to change the one pulley as opposed to all the others...

Every kid over the age of 16 has already done this to their cars... They spend this money on the pulleys before they bother to spend the money to paint over the crappy bondo jobs that they did trying to attach the body-kit that their buddy took off of the tuner they stole the other night...

This reminds me of the coil-over shock rules... "you can do this, just as long as you do it in the most round-about way possible..."

If the idea is to allow people to slow their accessories down, then let's give them the option to do it in the most STRAIGHT-Forward manner possible... This is a pretty straight-forward, bolt-on solution... I believe that any "unintended consequences" will be minor, and will be far outweighed by the intended ones...

Just my opinion, of course...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

Geo
05-07-2004, 07:21 PM
These are race cars... not SS cars, not T2 cars, but Improved Touring Race cars...

I see. So next we will allow any cams, a return to remote reservoir dampers, big brake upgrades? Hey, they're race cars.

I believe that any "unintended consequences" will be minor, and will be far outweighed by the intended ones...

Perhaps. But like the ECU rule, I think this will stir things up. First we will have to decide which scenario we will allow (see above). Then, some cars will benefit and some will not. Some will benefit more than others. And everyone will bitch (except those who benefit most).

Hey Greg, what do you think of allowing alternate main pulleys, but requiring you to retain the stock harmonic balancer? How about you Darin? Yours is also integral to the main pulley IIRC.

As I said, from a purely personal standpoint, I don't much care. Replacing one more pulley won't add much to my budget. I just think when the dust settles there will be people who will be really sorry we changed (assuming we do). I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

Besides, how many people are blowing up engines because they cannot change the main pulley?

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Quickshoe
05-07-2004, 08:49 PM
I don't believe it will change much on the dyno.

But what if an unintended consequence is cars that are not rpm limited because of valve train can now spin that much tighter and not worry about cavitation?

An additional 2-7 HP for everyone (but the rotary) doesn't concern me as much as someone being able to spin the motor another 400-600 rpms (numbers pulled out of my arse). Maybe it doesn't make any more power at all, but now they have the opportunity to run a little lower gear w/o hurting top end.

This is a rule that won't have the same effect on everyone. I don't think we need any more of those than we already have.

Ascona1973
05-07-2004, 11:26 PM
FWIW, on a GT-4 engine, on an engine dyno (not chassis), I saw a 4 hp hp increase @ 7800 rpms. I suspect this is because I reduced the water pump speed by 38%, and the alternator speed by 22%. On this particular engine, 8000 rpms can't be run continuously with stock pulleys due to the cavitation, the water temp increases drastically.

Bob

jlucas
05-09-2004, 10:13 AM
The SR20DE has a very big problem with coolant cavitation at the water pump at high RPMs, and is susceptible to near-hydro lock at times. Further, the power steering fluid gets literally beaten to death, getting so hot that it deforms and almost melts the power steering lines.

Sorrry for the OT reply.... I don't know for sure about Nissan pumps, but other P/S pumps I've seen can be disassembled and some of the pump vanes removed. Hopefully that helps. Also for the water pump I just read something this weekend on this engine building page, http://www.theoldone.com/articles/badtothebone/
(search for the word vanes), which talked about trimming the water pump vanes. No first had experience with this one.

Jeremy Lucas
Team Honda Research
Kumho-Cobalt-Comptech

[This message has been edited by jlucas (edited May 09, 2004).]

lateapex911
05-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by jlucas:
...P/S pumps I've seen can be disassembled and some of the pump vanes removed. Hopefully that helps....
Jeremy Lucas
Team Honda Research
Kumho-Cobalt-Comptech

[This message has been edited by jlucas (edited May 09, 2004).]

It may or it may not, but it isn't close to legal.

I'll leave it at that.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

jlucas
05-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
It may or it may not, but it isn't close to legal.
I'll leave it at that.

Sorry, not an IT guy. I knew it's out for SS but I figured you IT guys would have some more latitude. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

MMiskoe
05-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Greg Amy - email off line if you are still having power steering over heating problems. Your Nissans & my Nissans run similar pumps, I don't have problems.

Sorry for the thread interruption.

Matt

[email protected]

Geo
05-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by MMiskoe:
Greg Amy - email off line if you are still having power steering over heating problems. Your Nissans & my Nissans run similar pumps, I don't have problems.

That may also be due to the PS cooler. The NX2000 uses a looped line in front of the radiator. Other Nissans, such as the NX2000's brother the SE-R, use a finned PS cooler. I think that makes some difference. We never boiled our PS fluid in our ITS SE-R.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Bill Miller
05-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Darin,

You've got to be kidding me. A 3%-5% hp gain is not that big a deal? I'm using George's 7hp number to get that, and assuming 140 - 210 hp as the range for most of ITA/ITS. There are plenty of people that would pend large amounts of $$$ to get that 3-5 percent increase in hp.

And, it doesn't really matter if 90% (your number, don't know what you based it on) of the drivers can't use it, what about the 10% that can? They're probably already running at or near the top, you just given them even more of an advantage. And in doing so, raised the bar a bit more.

And, given two ways to get to the same goal, I'll take the one that minimizes the chance for 'unintended consequences', any day, espeically when they would benefit some cars more than others.

Now, I need to call the Dr. to make an appt. I think I'm actually agreeing w/ George on this one! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Greg Amy
05-16-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm biting my lip on this one, but I want to make some facts totally clear:

- There is no horsepower increase with a reduction in rotating mass. Period. It may seem "as if" it was increasing horsepower; well, I'm spending money on racing "as if" I were rich, but I've yet to see my invitation to the New York Polo Club.

- The advantage of reducing rotating mass is the ability of the ENGINE - not necessarily the vehicle - to accelerate faster.

- Distance from the center of rotation of the reduction in rotating mass is the number one factor to the improvement in vehicle acceleration: the farther the distance from the center of rotation that the mass is removed, the more expected ENGINE acceleration one sees.

- The improvement in performance expected from lightening rotating parts in not a hard number, it's a proportional percentage of existing engine rotating mass. A lighter engine will experience greater improvements from a reduction in rotating mass. Taking 5 pounds on a Chevy big block won't even be noticed; taking the same 5 pounds off a Kawasaki Ninja engine will.

- The diameter of a heavy crankshaft pulley is relatively small, therefore the expected engine acceleration improvement is also relatively small (compared to, say, lightening a flywheel).

- The relatively lesser improvement of engine acceleration from a lightened crankshaft pulley (compared to, say, a lightened flywheel) will result in lesser performance increase in VEHICLE acceleration, subject to...

- The vehicle will accelerate faster as a result of reducing powerplant rotating mass, but only as a function of the mass and aerodynamics of the vehicle itself. A heavier, less aerodynamic vehicle will experience less performance increase from reduction of rotating mass of the powerplant.

- Aerodynamics start seriously kicking in around 45-55 mph. Once you reach that speed the advantages of lightened drivetrain components diminishes to a point of zero at top aerodynamic speed.

- Since there is no increase in horsepower or torque from lightening rotating mass, there will be zero (none, nada, zip) increase in the top speed of the car from lightened rotating components. Lightening rotating mass affects drivertrain - and, ultimately, vehicle - acceleration only. That's why you'll really see an improvement at the 60-foot mark, but less so at the 660-foot mark.

You want to settle this? Forget the cheesy chassis dyno, which measures only the drivetrain acceleration and ignores the effects of the vehicle's mass and aerodynamics. Go ask your buddies to do a before and after at the drag strip, on the quarter mile. See how it affects not only the 0-40mph times but also the time and speed at the quarter mile. I'll bet you'll see a significant performance increase from 0-40mph and at the 60-foot mark; I'll also bet you'll see very little performance increase from 40-60mph and 60-100mph, where we as road racers spend the majority of our time.

THAT would be "real world" testing.

GregA

[This message has been edited by grega (edited May 16, 2004).]

Geo
05-16-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm biting my lip on this one, but I want to make some facts totally clear:

- There is no horsepower increase with a reduction in rotating mass. Period.

Agreed 100%. As I've already admitted, that was a misleading statement.

HOWEVER........

- The advantage of reducing rotating mass is the ability of the ENGINE - not necessarily the vehicle - to accelerate faster.

Greg, come on. All the theoretical discussion in the world won't change the results. And if the engine accelerates faster, so will the vehicle. Unless of course you have a bad clutch. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

The fact is, there are indeed acceptable engineering calculations to measure horsepower from rotating a known inertial mass. This is how the cheesy (as you put it) chassis dynos work. Interstingly enough, there are also inertial engine dynos. They don't seem to be used for automotive applications though, but on a previous research project regarding inertial dynos I came across them.

So, when you use an inertial dyno, you can be fooled into thinking that low mass components increase hp. They don't. But, they spin up the heavy drum as if they did. In other words, they accelerate it more quickly, just as the car would accelerate more quickly as if it were accelerating on pavement. It will accelerate faster just like it would if you increased hp.

This is not ricer mumbo jumbo Greg. You can tell us in theory how little affect a small diameter, low mass crank pulley can have on acceleration, but a chassis dyno gives you and answer that isn't theory.

The fact is, there are performance improvements to be had by replacing the main pulley.

See how it affects not only the 0-40mph times but also the time and speed at the quarter mile. I'll bet you'll see a significant performance increase from 0-40mph and at the 60-foot mark; I'll also bet you'll see very little performance increase from 40-60mph and 60-100mph, where we as road racers spend the majority of our time.

This is a red herring. Add 7 bhp to any car and see how it affects the acceleration times at these speed ranges and you'll find the same results. Well nearly the same results since every hp mod does not increase hp linearly throughout the rev range.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited May 16, 2004).]

Greg Amy
05-16-2004, 07:02 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Add 7 bhp to any car and see how it affects the acceleration times at these speed ranges and you'll find the same results.</font>

I'm sorry, George, but you're wrong; you've been handed a plate of bull. 7hp horsepower on an intertial driveline chassis dyno will not correlate to the same thing in the real world. Them's the facts, my friend, and that's the last thing I have to say about it.

[This message has been edited by grega (edited May 16, 2004).]

lateapex911
05-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Well, you are both probably closer than you think.

A good discussion of what HP is could be handy right now...where's Gregg Baker when you need him? But isn't Jake an engineer too?

Anyway, aloowing the engine to spin up faster does "fool" the dyno into a higher number...and while that number may not be dead nuts accurate, it does represent a potential performance gain.

Any gain has to be attributable to something...whether it is more torque, better breating (HP), less driveline drag, or faster engine rev band acceleration.

That said, there are a lot of things spinning between the crank and the pavement, like the clutch/flywheel, trans input shaft, driveshaft(s), final drive diff, axle shafts, brake discs, wheels and so on that the gain has got to be really small.

Which is one reason the F1 guys go nuts over the weight and location of the driveline components. it all adds up ... or down, to make the car acceletate up faster, and the times drop down.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

SPiN Racing
05-18-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911:

Which is one reason the F1 guys go nuts over the weight and location of the driveline components. it all adds up ... or down, to make the car acceletate up faster, and the times drop down.

I have to agree.. it really is simple... The Dynojet Dyno's may not in some peoples estimation denote TRUE HP... However neither do those attached to the hub, as they are losing HP via drag from the driveline components on the way from the Flywheel.... But that isnt the real point.
The POINT of all out work on these cars is to make them accellerate faster.
It is REALLY that simple..

Now the point is... IF the pulleys allow the dynojet to "misread" that into better HP.. via faster acceleration.. then isnt that what we are all after????

Look at F1 as posted above... Look at Motorcycle racing.. make it light and it is going to be faster than the next one by default. We are not running Nevada in a Top speed run.. therefore it is sorta moot the Drag factors at high velocities... this is all about acceleration.

(I had a lot of other stuff I typed.. but got carried away with weight reduction etc.. and percieved HP etc...soo going to let it lie at this amount ROFL)

Scott Neville
SPiN Racing
86 RX-7 EP
88 RX-7 20B SP

[This message has been edited by SPiN Racing (edited May 18, 2004).]

Joe Craven
05-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Has anyone mentioned that the crankshaft pulley is unrestricted on rotary powered cars?

Eagle7
05-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Joe Craven:
Has anyone mentioned that the crankshaft pulley is unrestricted on rotary powered cars?
Shhhh.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

Quickshoe
05-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Quickshoe:
An additional 2-7 HP for everyone (but the rotary) doesn't concern me as much as someone being able to spin the motor another 400-600 rpms (numbers pulled out of my arse). Maybe it doesn't make any more power at all, but now they have the opportunity to run a little lower gear w/o hurting top end...

Those who read between the lines might have caught it in my above post.

We can argue how much hp it gains, real or perceived. Argue whether or not that HP makes any difference on the track until we are blue in the face.

I think you will find that those in support of the rule who also think that it doesn't make any difference (going to a smaller and lighter pulley), would be totally against going to a much larger and heavier pulley even if accessory speed wasn't an issue.