PDA

View Full Version : Seat Talk

Wayne
05-01-2004, 03:42 PM
I've been having a devil of a time getting the cockpit comfortable in my current car. I've been playing with seat placement, wheel placement, modifying the pedals etc. Particularly with regards to smooth heel/toe downshifts.

My current set-up is a Kirkey deluxe aluminum seat that I took out of my circle track car. It has the 15 degree lay-back, and because of my size is mounted right down on the floor.

I've also modified the gas pedal to make higher and wider at the bottom. In my previous cars I've been able to pivot my foot on the ball and blip the throttle with my right side heel. In this car my leg is right up against the tunnel and pivoting my foot like that is near impossible. Maybe what I need to do is make the gas pedal wider at the top, and try to use the right side of my upper foot to blip the throttle?

I'm also wondering if a flat bottomed (no lay-back)seat would make things any easier? Although this may present a headroom problem, which is very tight as it is now.

What are you guys running for seats? Lay-back, straight up, other?

Wayne

924Guy
05-01-2004, 04:02 PM
I've always "heel-toed" using the left and right sides of my right foot only. Might help here to give some detail of what car you have...

I also don't quite understand how the seat plays into it - is the seat bolster limiting lateral movement of your right leg?

I have a 0 layback Kirkey Econo. To get the layback I really wanted, probably 20-25 deg, the bottom is pretty tilted. I like it, keeps me really cupped in the seat, but I imagine others might not.

------------------
Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region #280052
'79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
www.vaughanscott.com

grjones1
05-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Wayne[/B]

Wayne,
Just FYI, I roll the right ball of my foot and the left top and instep between the brake and gas without using my heel at all. It always felt awkward trying to twist my foot in a kind of Karate kick angle, so I developed this method and it feels more natural and works much smoother. Sounds like your seat is so low you have to keep your heel on the floor with your foot at a 90 degree angle anyway, so try using just the top and middle of your foot.
Hope this helps.
GRJ

Jake
05-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Yup - I've never used either my heal or my toe to heal toe.

I have a 10deg Kirkey. I can blip without problems, but usually don't bother. I let my clutch do the work while I concentrate on threshold braking.