PDA

View Full Version : Engine break-in procedure

Chris Sawatsky
04-05-2004, 10:30 AM
What kind of engine break-in procedures are recommended for IT engines?

I found this information http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Is it accurate?

My car is able to be registered for street use, so I could break-in like that, or I may also have the option of extensive dyno use, in which case it would likely be better do to that.

Anyone have experience and recommendations?

Car is an ITA crx

joeg
04-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Chris--I have done it both ways. My experience tells me that there is no problem with the "hard" break-in.

Obviously, since I build my motors, I know what was done and have no one to blame but myself if it blows-up. That said, other than starting it, getting the timing set and
checking for leaks and bad noises, why not put it on the track or a chassis dyno for some hard runs?

It does seem to work.

Maybe if I was buying expensive, pro-built motors, I'd feel the gentle break-in is better.

My car used to be street legal for break-in purposes. Not any longer!

Cheers.

planet6racing
04-05-2004, 11:08 AM
My last engine was driven for less than 100 miles on the street before seeing the first track day. When I pulled it apart this winter, the engine was still in perfect condition (so much so that I will be re-using most of the parts in the spare engine).

I've always been told to break-in the engine the way you plan to use it. I don't have any dyno tests to back any of this up, but I plan to break-in my new engine on the jackstands for about 1-2 hours at different RPMs before taking it to the track.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Chris Sawatsky
04-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Ok I'll probably run through the recommended procedures according to the mototuneusa.com site

Bill, most everything I've read had emphasized doing the break-in procedure under load, so doing it on jack stands would be a bad idea (according to what I've read)
can anyone confirm or deny this?

planet6racing
04-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Chris, I know. But, to put the engine/trans into my daily driver was just too much work and engine dyno time was just too much $$$. I need to run the engine before I take it to the track (problems are easier fixed in the garage 1.5 months before the first event) and it is going to take at least 20 minutes to pump up the lifters.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

joeg
04-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Try a chassis dyno!

20 minutes to pump up the lifters??

racer-025
04-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Bill's talking about hydraulic lifters...

gran racing
04-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Wow, I'm surprised there isn't more feedback on this topic. The article's method does seem to make sense. Any reason not to use it?

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

ITSRX7
04-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Dave,

I am betting the lack of trafiic on this one is simple: everyone has (and has heard) a different opinion on what is right and nobody will convince anyone otherwise.

I say do what the guy who built it for you suggests. I would hope they can rely on past experience to provide you the best data.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

04-06-2004, 11:28 AM
My engine builder said to put a brick on the gas pedal and run it wide open for a while but I think he had some sort of agenda.

joeg
04-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by racer-025:
Bill's talking about hydraulic lifters...

I Pre-oil them before install; they do not leak down.

planet6racing
04-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately, I stored them in the wrong position, so they did leak down on me. Not the end of the world, as they actually pumped up pretty fast last night.

Now, if I can just track down that little oil leak...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

MMiskoe
04-06-2004, 08:58 PM
I asked a guy who did dyno work for an engine shop about break in on the dyno - break in slowly or just slam it after its all warmed up.

He said just get it up to temperature and give it hell - dyno time & installation time are expensive, if its going to break, get it over with before investing any more than you have to.