PDA

View Full Version : Harness Dates

jimmy p
02-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Hey All,
I have seen posted on the EMRA board that SCCA (and now NASA & EMRA, etc) are all going to 2 (thats TWO) year belt dating.

I dont have a new 2004 GCR yet but can anyone confirm if this is true?

So does that mean essentially that the Brand new $285 Willans harnesses I bought in Feb. this past year are already halfway through their lifespan?

That seems like insanity to me.
If true,,, this sems like knee jerk reaction of epic proportions.

Thanks Guys
Jimmy Pettinato

planet6racing
02-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Jimmy:

Yes, it is true. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this site and others.

However, if your belts are FIA approved, they are good for 5 years.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

JIgou
02-04-2004, 02:11 PM
And along those lines:

http://www.racerwholesale.com/Merchant2/me...lock+Harnessses (http://www.racerwholesale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RW&Product_Code=GF-C5000&Category_Code=G-FORCE+Camlock+Harnessses)

Camlock. FIA approved. $109.99.

Jarrod

Greg Gauper
02-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Keep in mind that 2 year dating = 3 seasons of racing. I made that mistake originally.

I don't have as much a problem with changing belts every 3 seasons since I used to do that before it became manditory.

I would have a problem with changing belts every 2 seasons and would probably look at FIA stuff at that point.

joeg
02-04-2004, 03:16 PM
It's twue, it's twue

tac911t
02-05-2004, 06:29 PM
I am still confused concerning the wording of the 2-year harness date. If the harness is dated January 2004, and the reg states the harness expires on the 2nd December 31, from the harness date, where does the 3rd year come from?

Looking at retail prices of FIA vs. SFI dated harnesses (given the 2 year use of SFI), most of the prices equal out to a cost of ~$50 a year (FIA = 5 years use, SFI = 2 years use).

If the ruling wording does permit 3 years use of SFI belts, then SFI would be less per year than the FIA belts.

joeg
02-05-2004, 07:15 PM
It is almost 12 months (a year) from the month of January to the month of December in the same calendar year.

Possible explanation?

JohnRW
02-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by joeg:
It is almost 12 months (a year) from the month of January to the month of December in the same calendar year.

Possible explanation?

Book-learned college boy...

ddewhurst
02-05-2004, 08:09 PM
***I am still confused concerning the wording of the 2-year harness date. If the harness is dated January 2004, and the reg states the harness expires on the 2nd December 31, from the harness date, where does the 3rd year come from?***

tac, the three years comes from the fact that the wording in the rule says something like:

The certification indicated by this lable shall expire on December 31st of the second year AFTER the year the belts were manufactured.

If your going to buy new SFI belts make sure the manufacture date is Jan/Feb of 2004 & they are good to go untill Dec, 31st 2006 which equales three years. If ya buy the suckers in Dec of 2003 they will still only be good untill Dec, 31st 2006 which equals two years.

Hope all is clear http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

BVNitta
02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Jimmy:

Willans harnesses should be FIA approved in any event and hence good for 5 years.

http://www.willansharness.com/

Bhima

Scott Nutter
02-05-2004, 10:35 PM
So what it really means is that you should never put a racing harness on you Xmas list, instead get it from your sweetie on Valentine's day http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

edit:
'you Xmas list' as in 'your Xmas list'

[This message has been edited by Scott Nutter (edited February 05, 2004).]

Greg Gauper
02-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Say you bought your belts in Jan 2004.

You race in 2004 (1st season)
You race in 2005 (2nd season)
You race in 2006 (3rd season) the belts are then thrown away after Dec 31, 2006 (or perhaps donated to a Solo II group).

And you can put your belts on your Xmas list, just tell who ever buys them to check with the vendor. I bought new belts for the Sebring national in December from Pegasus and they were 'predated' with Jan 2004 date stamp.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited February 05, 2004).]

whenry
02-06-2004, 10:00 AM
I just made this mistake. I asked for belts and my mother-in -law got them for me but they have Dec dates, not Jan. Oh well, they were free to me so it wont be as bad to replace them in '06 but the next time, belts will be on my B-day(Feb)list, not Xmas. Now I've just got to sell the old belts to Solo crowd.

jimmy p
02-06-2004, 01:30 PM
RE: Seat Belts

Well that does clear some things up.
The one thing in this I now see as the "most" daft,,, is my Willans harness have an FIA rating,,, but also carry an SFI rating.

Does it not seem a little strange that the very same Willans belt that SFI deems life threatening after two years,,, they will let you use for 5 because the FIA (who is outside the USA's litigous society) thinks its good for 5 years.

Thats something to think about...
Cheers
jimmy p.

ITSRX7
02-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by jimmy p:
RE: Seat Belts

Does it not seem a little strange that the very same Willans belt that SFI deems life threatening after two years,,, they will let you use for 5 because the FIA (who is outside the USA's litigous society) thinks its good for 5 years.

Thats something to think about...
Cheers
jimmy p.

Not at all. If the SFI rating is good for 2-3 years (as has been stated), and the FIA rating is good for 5 years, then it could make sense that the FIA rating is more stringent. It would then make sense that any FIA rated belts could be SFI rated at a minimum.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region #188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com

gran racing
02-08-2004, 10:11 AM
So, does the window net fall into the two year catgory or not?

I thought I saw a discussion about this, but can not find it...

lateapex911
02-08-2004, 04:23 PM
I do not believe so.

So, when crashing, be sure to control your arms if your net is over 2 years old!

(Or, take care of your net, don't use it to secure the TV antenna on top of your roof between races, and you'll be fine.)

Also, don't write in to the directors asking for a clarification or we'll all be bying nets twice as often too! LOL

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ddewhurst
02-08-2004, 06:26 PM
***Also, don't write in to the directors asking for a clarification or we'll all be bying nets twice as often too! LOL***

Jake, don't worry about someone asking about window nets. Just hope no one asks about helmet chin straps . http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

Joe Craven
02-11-2004, 05:42 PM
NASA is complying with SFI's recommendation and going to the 2 year belt dating rule. SCCA is not complying with SFI's recommendation and is going to 2+ belt dating procedure.

My guess is that SCCA will succumb to SFI pressure and change their policy eventually. Don't count on 2+ years with SCCA for too long.

BTW, I just ordered 2 sets of FIA belts - yahoo!

Joe Craven
ITB Capri and GTI

SCCAThumper
02-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Hey, all you guys are tossing your belts, what about checking with your regions Emergency Services crew if they would like them for training.
Probably not all the belts being discarded are needed but first offers will be appreciated.
Thumper

------------------
Bambi's Friend and friend to all...
Runner of lights and sirens, if they be flashin git outta my way! Cause I got no brakes like a F VEE

Silkworm
03-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Don't forget, most HPDE/Open Track guys can use our expired belts...

PaulC

Scott Malbon
03-26-2004, 09:50 PM
If thinking long term be aware that SCCA requires 6- or 7- point systems beginning Jan 1 2007 (April FasTrack)

Scott

pgipson
03-26-2004, 10:06 PM
<So, does the window net fall into the two year catgory or not?>

NASA requires that window nets not be more than 2 years old, but SCCA has not done that. Of course NASA pretty much doesn't enforce anything anyway.

[This message has been edited by pgipson (edited March 26, 2004).]

bldn10
03-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Please note Scott's post - if you are going w/ FIA belts to take advantage of the 5 years, you must get at least 6-point because we will be switching w/i 5 years.