PDA

View Full Version : Oils of choice

vincenzo
03-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Hi guys, I did a search but I couldn't find anything on oils. Is their a preference between Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1 products? Thanks!

planet6racing
03-18-2004, 07:27 PM
I think you'll find it comes down to personal preference. Last year I used Mobil 1 and my engine looked great when it came apart. This year, though, I haven't been spending enough money, so I'm going to try RedLine.

I know a lot of people are happy with Amsoil, however I question some of their marketing data and techniques. As a results, I have never considered them for my car.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

racer_tim
03-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Any oil will work, as long as you change it every race.

I have used Kendall, both their synthentic and non-synthetic and haven't have an oil based problem in years.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Knestis
03-18-2004, 08:29 PM
I used to be an Amsoil "salesman" and we would always do the battery of demonstrations at car shows and stuff.

I learned that (a) Kendall was the best performing in terms of high-temperature viscosity maintanance and that (B) Amsoil was expensive. Castrol got THICKER with repeated high-heat cyclings.

I now use Kendall dead sea life oil.

K

lateapex911
03-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Years ago, I had a big end rod knock on my 911 that would only occur after a really warm drive, followed by a long shut down. Sounded like a hammer was loose inside, but it went away after 5 seconds or so as the bearing got oil. Only happened every few months, but it was nerve racking.

As a broke designer at the time, the thousands for a rebuild weren't available, so I did the next best thing. Redline sythetic. As a 911 takes a good case of oil at every change, it wasn't totally cheap, but I never heard that noise again!

My previous oils had been the usual "high end" Valvoline, Kendall and Penzoils.

Now I use Mobil 1, as my sponsor carries it.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

vincenzo
03-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Would you guys say that Amsoil is more "popular" over all? I agree, some of their marketing and testing is questionable. Mobil 1 now has a new Racing oil, Mobil 1 R 0w-30 with boosted anti-wear additives and is used by actual NASCAR teams.

Check it out. http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp

[This message has been edited by vincenzo (edited March 18, 2004).]

ITSRX7
03-18-2004, 09:25 PM
You are going to get a ton of opinions on this and here is mine:

Any oil WILL NOT do. The ability of synthetics to withstand the heat some engines run at is critical. I am a Mobil 1 die-hard but YMMV. Run you oil temp past 350 degrees and see what oil is left standing...

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

Greg Gauper
03-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Do a search for 'Bob the Oil Guy'

Very interesting website! Lots of discussion in the forum section about oil types, filters, additives, etc.

The one comment they made about Redline is that it did have a higher amount of a specific additive (higher zinc content maybe?? can't remember)that protects the engine in the event of oil breakdown. Also much discussion on base stocks, general dino oil and synthetics.

I figure it's like chicken soup......can't hurt!

Supposedly the new Valvoline Racing synthetic is supposed to be good, but can't be used in a street car because the additives are harmful to emissions controls.
It's not available from normal parts huts or wally world.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited March 18, 2004).]

vincenzo
03-18-2004, 09:29 PM
I agree, synthetics are important especially in high temperature situations. The new Mobil 1 Racing oil looks very good. Thanks guys.

[This message has been edited by vincenzo (edited March 18, 2004).]

Dick Elliott
03-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Go to Dave Williams site at http://angelfire.com/ar/dw42/index.htm then go to short tech notes, then to oil and lubrication to learn more about oil than any one person has the right to know. This guy writes articles for mags like Circle Track and Stock Car. Be forwarned though, his site is very long. Great reading though.His own prefence is diesel oil because of less adatives.Also tell's it like it is about oil adds. Read it/you'll like it.

joeg
03-19-2004, 09:26 AM
The one Amsoil product worth mentioning is their racing synthetic grease.

Other than that, I'll stick with Mobil 1 for oil (except on initial break-ins which get Kendall straight 30 weight).

Cheers.

kthomas
03-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by racer_tim:
Any oil will work, as long as you change it every race.

IMHO, a tremendous waste of oil, especially for an IT engine.

I am a big fan of Kendall GT-1 for ohead cam engines, although we ran Mobil 1 with great success as well in our ARRC winning 240Z.

------------------
katman

ITSRX7
03-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by kthomas:
IMHO, a tremendous waste of oil, especially for an IT engine.

Although I agree to a point, the $20 per oil change with Mobil 1 is a SMALL price to pay for piece of mind for a critical piece of the pie.

I am from the 'better safe that sorry' school of thought - especially with an engine worth over $3500 - and that is CHEAP compared to some of the stuff out there.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

JeffYoung
03-19-2004, 11:33 AM
I got talked into using Lubrication Engineer's oil, the allegedly "best" petroleum based oil. It ain't cheap -- $7 a quart, but I've been happy with it, although I don't have enough experience under the belt to tell if it has reduced wear or not.

Anyone heard of this stuff or use it?

88YB1
03-19-2004, 12:43 PM
I just did a search on the new Mobil racing oil. $41.16 a quart. I guess I'll stick with Mobil 1 15W50.

Chuck
ITA Fiero #34

ITSRX7
03-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 88YB1:
I just did a search on the new Mobil racing oil. $41.16 a quart. I guess I'll stick with Mobil 1 15W50.

Chuck
ITA Fiero #34

That is for a 6-pack case. 6.86 per quart.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

Tom Donnelly
03-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Keith,

What weight Mobil I did y'all use? 15w-50?

Tom

B Schley
03-19-2004, 04:30 PM
I used Mobil 1 with no problems. Switched to Silkolene last year. The oil and tranny fluid come out as clean as they go in, great stuff.

lobster
03-19-2004, 04:47 PM
We use Ray-o-lube or Reclaimo.................................... anyone know theses old brands? Really we use 20w50 Valvoline Racing oe 10W40 Syn Valvoline Later Glenn

Quickshoe
03-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Redline in the transaxle.

Mobil 1 in the daily drivers.

Castrol GTX in the race car, motorhome and jeep, which all get a fresh change before every outing.

vincenzo
03-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Mobil 1 is your best bang for your $ it seems. Amsoil is a very good oil, but I don't see to much of a difference between it and Mobil 1. The four ball wear test is meaningless in determining wear in an actual engine. Redline and Mobil technical services will tell you this. Redline I think is the best oil for heavy racing. Mobil 1 is great for racing but more suited for daily driving as it is a API certified oil which reduces the amount of ZDDP in an oil.

88YB1
03-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Yes I am using Mobil 1 15W50 performance formula oil. I am running an 86 Pontiac Fiero with a crappy stock GM oil pump. This is a low rpm engine (6250 rpm red line) and relativly low pressure pump. GM specs 15lb @ hot idle. I get nervous when I see oil pressure that low so 15W50. Brings Idle pressure up above twenty at hot idle. With eight and one half track hours on the engine everything seems fine. I'll change my oil next week and get an analysis to see what is going on in my engine.

Chuck

Chuck

philstireservice
03-21-2004, 11:35 AM
I use Amsoil for the degree of protection it offers over all the other synthetics as well as my own prior experiences... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif...and their marketing is primo.....that's why they are still a privately owned company

------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST1
www.philstireservice.com
Official Independent Amsoil Dealer for the East Coast Honda Challenge
distributor for FireCharger AFFF fire systems
Hoosier Tire Dealer
Toyo Tire Dealer

vincenzo
03-21-2004, 05:15 PM
philstireservice, what Amsoil grade specifically do you run and what specific benefits have you noticed? Used oil analysis? Tear down etc.? Amsoil uses a lot of marketing BS. Very few know this but Amsoil buys their PAO base Stocks from ExxonMobil, who makes most of the group IV and V basestocks out their. The four ball wear test is irrelevant to how well oils will protect inside an actual engine. They make great oils but I think if you go to www.bobistheoilguy.com (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com) you'll find they are not the best.

Quickshoe
03-21-2004, 08:47 PM
I would like to suggest that if you are using oil analysis to determine which oil is better and adequate change intervals, send a clean new sample to be tested as well.

The spectrochemical analysis that I have had tests for all kinds of cool stuff, but how much moly is in the oil as an additive and how much is wear from your rings? If you don't know how much moly or silicon or whatever is in the oil to start with what have you got?

The literature that came with my analysis results show that Magnesium, Calcium, Barium, Phosphorus, Zinc and Molybdenum are common oil additives.

Results from my Mobil 1 viscosity test show that my 10W30 with 7000 miles on it had an actual viscosity of 10.78 @ 40C.

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited March 21, 2004).]

vincenzo
03-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Quickshoe is right. I can also add that if you look on www.bobistheoilguy.com (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com) Mobil 1 shows outstanding results most of the time and it's readily available.

philstireservice
03-22-2004, 02:28 AM
IMO....I have seen many a tear down of my own motors as well as other race motors and street motors and Amsoil has done an excellent job of protection/performance. It has given me and many of my customers many years of quality service. I don't dispute that there are other good synthetics out there, but I believe Amsoil has made a good and durable product that you can use with confidence and corresponding performance to protect what you have invested in your race car or street auto. There are many factors in the decision to use "A" oil or "B" oil...to some degree we are all "marketed" to use what oil we choose. I have personally used Redline, Mobil 1 and Amsoil. I have chosen to continue to use Amsoil based on my findings as well as my customers, competitors, oil analysis and tear down info. It has worked for me......
I use 10w30
------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST1
www.philstireservice.com (http://www.philstireservice.com)
Official Independent Amsoil Dealer for the East Coast Honda Challenge
distributor for FireCharger AFFF fire systems
Hoosier Tire Dealer
Toyo Tire Dealer

[This message has been edited by philstireservice (edited March 22, 2004).]

Dave Zaslow
03-22-2004, 08:20 AM
It looks like oil is one of those issues like religion and politics.

Here is a long, detailed, semi-scientific and empirical study of various oils and additives. It is also a good read.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories...s/oil-life.html (http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html)

Personally, I use Mobil 1 15-50 in the Rabbit. Change about twice during the season along with an oem filter.

Have fun.

Dave Z