PDA

View Full Version : A new timing system I am working on

Tom Blaney
03-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Folks: This a new project that I am working on with a chip engineer who works for IBM. I will have the final prototype in hand in about a week and will be testing it on the car in mid-April. I figure I would throw the description out to you for comments and questions, recommendations, suggestions, criticisms (or orders if you like). I will have the information on my website shortly
Thanks
Tom Blaney

SBMS Racing’s Total Timing System

This newly developed timing system is a compact 4 display lap timing system that is intended both for endurance and sprint racing environments. The system uses a custom 7 segment led display system with an encoded infrared beacon that can be uniquely programmed for that particular display unit. Thus eliminating false triggers from other beacons and guaranteeing accurate lap and race times thought the session. The display unit contains 3 individual HH:MM:SS:TT displays and a #### lap counter. Each display has a reset button next to the display and a remotely mounted button pad for each of the 4 displays that can be attached to the steering wheel or any convenient location. The 3 time displays work perfectly for an endurance race where total time, driver segment time and lap time are constantly shown. The driver can restart each of the displays by pressing the local or remote reset button when there is a change of driver for example or if one of the displays is being used for a segment timer for a part of the track. In a sprint race the three displays can be used to monitor prior laps or used as a segment timer. While the lap counter will show laps raced.

All of the data will be stored in the display unit and can be downloaded into a laptop in standard text or spreadsheet format. The serial port interface allows access to the units configuration and data storage.

The unit will be capable of storing up to 1000 laps of data, not the 60 or so laps of the other units. The timing beacon is a self contained waterproof unit that has the batteries fitted into the unit, or if desired a remote power source can be used. The beacon encoding will be accessible on the unit. The units will be available for deliver beginning May 2004. Final price of the unit is still being determined, but we anticipate it being in the $300 to $400 range

planet6racing
03-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Well, there was a rumor that the iCard would be coming out in a USB format. Although it wouldn't give segment times (which can be a great learning tool), I'd probably lean more toward the iCard, especially if the price came in around $150.

Just my $0.02.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Tom Blaney
03-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by planet6racing:
Well, there was a rumor that the iCard would be coming out in a USB format. Although it wouldn't give segment times (which can be a great learning tool), I'd probably lean more toward the iCard, especially if the price came in around $150.

Just my $0.02.

Bill: Aren't we talking apples and oranges here. My design would be a dash display that has dynamic information, versis an iCard that would be after the fact?

Quickshoe
03-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Sounds like a fair target price.

Would the split time mode require an input from the driver at certain points, or are there plans for a wheel speed sensor or gps?

I think the timing modes for Enduros is great, as I kind of went a little beyond my alloted time (sorry Rick) due to failure to see pit board during intense battle. Funny how I saw it the very first lap after I took the lead http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

planet6racing
03-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Sorry, Tom, I glanced over the part about it being in car. So, yes, Apples and PC's...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Tom Blaney
03-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Quickshoe:
Sounds like a fair target price.

Would the split time mode require an input from the driver at certain points, or are there plans for a wheel speed sensor or gps?

I think the timing modes for Enduros is great, as I kind of went a little beyond my alloted time (sorry Rick) due to failure to see pit board during intense battle. Funny how I saw it the very first lap after I took the lead http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

One of reasons I went this way was due to a gps based unit I tried last year. Unfortunatly gps is not quite ready for prime time in this environment, but speed sensors ... hmmmm

RSTPerformance
03-14-2004, 02:51 AM
Although our budget might not be available (we still have a lot of other areas $400 could go to for better benifit, like new tires at the ARRC or something) I do think that this is a great idea and that their would probably be a market.

Good Luck

Raymond Blethen