PDA

View Full Version : New guy questions

p9
02-23-2004, 11:49 PM
As far as tire brands, are just about all legal for IT classes? I suppose it would be compounds that are either legal or not, yes no?

What are the main differences in the IT classes?
It seems rather confusing to me.

For a newcomer, what would be the best IT class for the money/reliability factor?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light for me...
George

lateapex911
02-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Where to start?!

First, welcome.

Tires...Hoosiers are the fast tires, but also the expensive ones that wear fast. Better to start with Toyos or Kuhmos.

As to classes, best thing would be to order a GCR, read through it and come to the track to see what's running. We're all blabbermouths when it comes to talking about our cars!

Essentially, ITS is the big bucks fast class, and ITC is the slowest, and therefor cheapest, class, but nothing is ever classed in ITC anymore as no new cars are that slow. ITA, and ITB are popular middle grounds.

But beware...I sense some class changes, and what you see now may end up getting shuffled. Tough time to jump in!

Stay tuned.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited February 23, 2004).]

RSTPerformance
02-24-2004, 02:00 AM
Any DOT legal tire is legal for IT ( I think) recomendation s are the same as above or even better for your first few events buy used tires from the fast guys.

As far as classes go, go to a local event and see what the most popular class or better yet what class looks like the most fun FOR YOU torace in. Talk to the drivers (we don't bite, well most anyway) to see how much it would cost, then go from their picking.

Raymond Blethen
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)

------------------
http://rstperformance.bizland.com/rstsignature.jpg
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)
1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships

Geo
02-24-2004, 08:35 AM
The difference in the classes is the cars classified into them, not prep level with the following exception: ITS and ITA can use 7" wide wheels and ITB and ITC can use 6" wide wheels. Diameters are set by the rules for each car.

As for best class for the money/reliability, that's a tough call. You'd probably have to go more by car. The CRX is popular and parts are plentiful. The 1st gen RX-7 is a well known car, if no longer a consistent front runner. Any of the VWs should have plentiful parts for the most part. I'm sure there are others.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

p9
02-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Thank you guys, for some very useful and good information you have provided.

I do plan on attending an event at Summit in April with my notebook and plenty of questions!

gran racing
02-24-2004, 11:05 AM
It is also important to take a look at the region you'll be racing in. For example, in the NER there are very few ITC cars. And they are all very well prepared.

The ITA group is very large and a person can always find others to race with.

grjones1
02-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by p9:
Thank you guys, for some very useful and good information you have provided.

I do plan on attending an event at Summit in April with my notebook and plenty of questions!

We'll be at Summit in April - ITC Ford Fiesta # 22 (silver and red). We're usually paddocked around the store or towards the road to Turn 1. Come by, bring your notebook. and we will sermonize to your and our hearts' content.
G. Robert Jones

p9
03-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Ok, Robert. Sounds great, we'll be there and look you guys up.

George

03-04-2004, 01:12 AM
welcome P9, I run the hoosiers, best price I have paid yet was $726.00 mounted. I couldnt keep the toyos from melting and turning to grease, must be that clay under my shoes.