PDA

View Full Version : Model Line on ITCS Question

JeffYoung
02-28-2004, 03:23 AM
Here's one for the rules nerds. I have a car that is listed on the ITCS line, with one weight for the coupe version and one for the convertible.

I've just learned that the coupe's metal bumper assembly is much lighter (about 40 lbs each end, which is a lot) than the reinforced bumpers on the convertible. I've seen a set of coupe bumpers on a car here in Raleigh, and it appears the manufacturer simply welded in metal reinforcing to same bumper assembly on the convertible.

So, it seems to me I could, at a minimum, find some coupe bumpers somewhere and bolt them on, correct? Same car, same ITCS line, different, lighter part on a different model?

BUT, what I want to do, as I am having trouble locating someone who will just sell me bumpers and not an entire rotted, rusted, 25 yeard old British coupe, is take the bumpers I have and have the reinforcing bars cut out. Is "making" my bumpers into an allowable part allowed? I'm not sure, as I seem to be in a gray area. I'm certainly making a modification to increase performance, if I do this. However, the modification is to make an existing part "into" a part that I could simply bolt on if I could find it.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Jeff
1980 Triumph TR8
The Shape of Things that Break

ddewhurst
02-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Jeff, read ITCS 17.1.4.C. second sentence.

Is the coupe a TR8 ?

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

Geo
02-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Well, I'm not sure what David is trying to allude to, but......

Technically you cannot do that. Pragmatically? Well, I assume the parts have different numbers on them. If the parts have the part numbers on them, then absolutely not. Otherwise, while I would not tell you that you can, as a practical matter, if you could make them be exactly the same as a coupe bumper and nobody could tell.... Well, then nobody could tell and I think you would skate. Again, technically it's illegal, so I leave you to your own conscience.

If David is implying you are creating a model, I say pphhfftttt....... You are correct IMHO in saying both models are on the same line of the ITCS so you can interchange any parts. You just have to meet the weight requirement for your model.

That's my opinion FWIW. IANATI (I am not a tech inspector).

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

JohnRW
03-02-2004, 09:24 AM
The bumpers are the least of your problems. You've got more issues with the "25 year old British coupe" thing.

If there is only one line in the ITCS for this car, then this is a question that you shouldn't be asking. Just do it. If you ask, it's just an opportunity for someone to say "no".

Besides, there are not a lot of TR8 experts wandering around the IT paddock.

Investment tip from a recovering British car guy: Go long in speedy-dry.