PDA

View Full Version : 225/50 vs. 205/55

Jake
01-25-2004, 01:32 PM
Is bigger always better? I'm looking at getting a set of Hoosiers for next season, and am torn about which size to go to. I'm happy with my 225/50-14 Toyos which are about the same size as a 205/50 Hooiser. Is there any gain by getting a 225/50 Hooiser (which I estimate really should be a 235/45)?

The car is an underpowered by great handling MR2 at about 2420lbs.

racer_tim
01-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Jake:
Is bigger always better? I'm looking at getting a set of Hoosiers for next season, and am torn about which size to go to. I'm happy with my 225/50-14 Toyos which are about the same size as a 205/50 Hooiser. Is there any gain by getting a 225/50 Hooiser (which I estimate really should be a 235/45)?

The car is an underpowered by great handling MR2 at about 2420lbs.

Jake, if your car is underpower'd like you said, more tire might just make it slower. If you are just looking for a change, then go with the same size tire, so you can compare apples to apples. Don't throw too many variables into the mix since you won
t be able to determine what you changed, either for the better or for the worse.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

BVNitta
01-25-2004, 02:53 PM
What he said - you would have more rolling friction with the larger contact patches, subtracting from straight line hp but you should have better cornering and braking with the larger tires. But if your handling is already great as you mention, then you gain little or nothing with the larger tires.

Bhima

ITSRX7
01-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Take away the theory and guessing. The only way to know is to TEST the crap out of everything. Most IT racers just find out what they are 'supposed' to do - and then do it.

Here is my suggestion:

During your next 20-30 minute test session, take your tire temps. If you are exceeding the optimal temp range for the tire you are running (or planning to run), going up a size may just be the ticket. Testing the larger size may show temps that are too low, quicker lap times - or even quicker segment times.

If I was you, I would try something different until YOU determine what is best.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region #188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Greg Amy
01-25-2004, 11:26 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...try something different until YOU determine what is best.</font>

AMEN, brother Andrew!

If I've learned nothing else over the last few years of building my current car, it's that "common knowledge" is worth every plug nickel that I paid for it...

RSTPerformance
01-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Try it!!!

Everyone told us to run 195's on our Audi's, we ran 205's then after a season and a half decided to try out 225's on one of the cars in the front (had to convince crew to go along with us). It seems to be a lot better. 225's don't clear the fenders in the rear so we do not run them back their. The only downfall is you can not heat cycle the tires on the back and move forward.

Raymond Blethen
RST Performace Racing

------------------
http://rstperformance.bizland.com/rstsignature.jpg
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)
1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships

m glassburner
02-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Resist the temptation to change more than one item at a time.Test at a track you know very well.And your results should tell the tale.GOOD LUCK!!