PDA

View Full Version : Building a T2 Nissan 350Z?

Jake
02-03-2004, 04:02 PM
I know this is IT, but there seems to be lots of knowledge here. What's involved in building a T2 car? Am I correct that it is basically SS but faster? I'm looking at some of the new classifications, and the WRX STi and Lancer EVO just seem silly in T1, but the 350Z looks to stand a chance in T2.

planet6racing
02-03-2004, 04:27 PM
I just read that the Neon SRT-4 set a new track record at a T2 race. It seemed to do pretty well...

As for setup, I believe you are allowed a few more mods than SS, but not much. I also think some of the safety requirements are more strict. But, as we always say here, check the GCR!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

racer_tim
02-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Jake, those 2 cars are in T1 because they are AWD.

The BMW in T2 also does pretty well.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Jake
02-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by racer_tim:
Jake, those 2 cars are in T1 because they are AWD.

They still seem silly there. The Subaru Justy was AWD, but I can't see them catching Z06 Vettes either!

Neon in T2? Wow - the S2000 and Boxter S are in T2. Can you crank the boost in Touring?

racer_tim
02-03-2004, 09:24 PM
AWD and Turbo. Can you spell AUDI Quattro, like what happened in Trans AM? Stuck and Buffman drove the wheels off of those cars too.

I don't think they will let that happen again.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Chris Sawatsky
02-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Jake:

Neon in T2? Wow - the S2000 and Boxter S are in T2. Can you crank the boost in Touring?

Neon SRT4 is ridiculous. I recently saw a video of one doing a 500hp dyno pull on a stock bottom end. I've seen dyno plots of stock srt4's in the 270whp range. STOCK!

Knestis
02-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Mark the date - I predict that the SCCA will be trying to shove the turbo horses back through the open barn door they created with these listings, regardless of the fact that they put them where they thought they wouldn't be a problem...

The club just doesn't seem to have a very long institutional memory for these things, having dealt with them less than 20 years ago.

K

Jake
02-04-2004, 10:42 PM
In all seriousness - what mods could you do to a WRX STi or Evo in T1. Can you modify the boost legally? Otherwise they seem to be at least 100hp shy of the class leaders.

Fleetcare
02-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Jake:
In all seriousness - what mods could you do to a WRX STi or Evo in T1. Can you modify the boost legally? Otherwise they seem to be at least 100hp shy of the class leaders.

I highly doubt it.
Touring is pretty much SS. To my knowledge besides safety standards being higher due to the potential speed, there are no differences. Same idea that its car-airbags+cage+seat+harness=T race car!

No way boost would be allowed to change. Then what would stop people cheating like crazy ?

planet6racing
02-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure PCM's are open in Touring. Since the wastegate is electronically controlled on the Neon, it is possible to change boost that way.

Again, don't quote me on it. I know there was discussion of this at SCCAForums.com...

On edit -> Strike that. I don't think they are open else the Vipers would have been at the runoffs this year. However, it will be difficult to prevent someone from adjusting boost this way...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

[This message has been edited by planet6racing (edited February 05, 2004).]

benspeed
02-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Geez - let me see, the cost to run a 270 hp Neon in T2 and the spares vs. running a Boxster a the cost of a condo in spares. Hmmm....The PCA guys would be pretty depressed!

Heck - the neon might be cheaper than ITS!

Jake
02-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

Doesn't the new open (in the stock box) ECU rule make adjusting the boost LEGAL? Both the STi and EVO use the ECU to adjust the max boost pressure. There are many companies that will reflash the stock units.

Am I missing something?

planet6racing
02-12-2004, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure ECUs are open in Touring. If so, I would have thought the Vipers would have solved their problem and come to the runoffs...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

Banzai240
02-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by planet6racing:
I'm not sure ECUs are open in Touring. If so, I would have thought the Vipers would have solved their problem and come to the runoffs...

TCS - 11
2. The engine management computer or ECU may be altered provided that all modifications are done within the original housing. Automobiles shall meet federal emission standards.

Touring and Improved Touring share the same ECU rule... except for the emissions part...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited February 12, 2004).]

planet6racing
02-13-2004, 12:02 AM
I stand corrected.

Anyone want to trade a new Neon SRT4 for my Saturn?

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

lateapex911
02-13-2004, 12:07 AM
yea but.........

T1 and T2 are classes that aren't as close to SS as you might think. Catalysts get replaced with "aftermarket" replacement parts, (hint hint, wink wink), chips tweak the engine management, with different fuel curves, different boost curves and so on.

It's like the old west out there.

The Neon looks like the bargain of the century......

And comp adjustments are involved as well.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Prince Makaha
02-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Since almost every turbocharged car sports a pop-off valve that is rated at just over stock boost pressure, you will do nothing but vent extra boost to the atmosphere.

jlucas
02-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Prince Makaha:
Since almost every turbocharged car sports a pop-off valve that is rated at just over stock boost pressure, you will do nothing but vent extra boost to the atmosphere.

Not if it's a ECU controlled wastegate, like many newer tech turbo cars. That way the boost is control by the current engine parameters. Coolant temp not warmed up --> less boost and so on...

EP98SE
02-15-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Prince Makaha:

Popoff valves havent been used on turbo cars for a while , I havent seen any of the factory turbo cars use a popoff valve since the old 280Z turbo ..

------------------
Shawn
GerBrock.com
ICSCC E Production
'98 Sentra SE

[This message has been edited by EP98SE (edited February 15, 2004).]

Prince Makaha
02-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Actually......for nissan, it would be 1989 for the pop-off valve.

Many of the new turbo cars have blow off valves that are mechanical and cannot be fooled by any ECU magic.

oanglade
02-16-2004, 10:56 AM
That is not the case for any of the recently classified turbo cars in T1 or T2.

They can gain a ton of power by a simple ECU remap (like over 30 hp) without touching any component other than the OBD2 port under the dash to connect the programmer.

------------------
Ony