PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed installation

sharkmonkey
01-29-2004, 04:14 PM
I just started the process of getting my car classified in IT. It's a 92 Geo Prizm. I also just read the 2003 GCR that states automatic transmissions are a no no. This car has an auto so I thought I'd swap it out for the 5 speed that came in the same model year.

I've done all sorts of engine swaps in a few different makes and models but I've never changed an auto to a stick.

Is this a nightmare waiting to happen or a simple swap and add a pedal? Would my car even be allowed to race because it originally came with an auto?

I was going to spend the first 3/4 of 2004 prepping this thing for a late year or 05 school then race with it in 2005.

Thanks,
MARK

------------------
Mark "the Shark" Stover
[email protected]

Someday... I'll go racing.

racer_tim
01-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Mark, just remember that not only will you have to add a pedal, but your going to have to make up the linkage as well.

FWD boxes are pretty easy to swap out, but getting all of the other items might be more than it's worth.

If you could get a medical waiver to use the auto box, that's one way, but it would NEVER be as good as a stick.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

badal
01-29-2004, 08:57 PM
It might be a big pain.
I've done older cars, but you may run into problems with pedal mounts, clutch lines, computers, motor may be different-it is in a Miata, etc.
Probably easiest to buy a whole 5 speed car to get all the parts, but at that point, easier to prep the 5-speeder.

------------------
"Bad" Al Bell
ITC #3 Datsun 510
DC Region MARRS Series

badal
01-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Speaking of Geo parts cars:
http://www.raptors-lair.com/blu/misc/snowtowcar.wmv

------------------
"Bad" Al Bell
ITC #3 Datsun 510
DC Region MARRS Series

joeg
01-30-2004, 08:49 AM
BADAL is correct. Find a donor "stick" car.

If the car has FI, it could mean all kinds of components need swapping, including wiring harnesses. While it is a pretty safe bet that all of the bracketry, holes, etc. are already on the unibody to handle swapping in clutch pedals, shifter mechanisms, etc., the electronics are likely different.

I have done it and enjoyed it; but it was with a carb car.

The swap is also perfectly legal since you are not creating a model that never existed.

Cheers.

sharkmonkey
01-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Oh, yes. Never thought about the FI electronics. I was out this morning looking at the throttle body which has a tansmission kickdown cable. I know that is not on the manual car.

It was only a thought I guess. The tranny in this car is going so I thought I had an opportunity in the making.

Now I get to go home and tell my wife I'm getting rid of her old car!
MARK

------------------
Mark "the Shark" Stover
[email protected]

Someday... I'll go racing.