PDA

View Full Version : Heat cycling tires

ok_20_02
01-29-2004, 09:04 AM
I have a new set of Kumho Victoracers and I was wondering about heat cycling and other questions.

This is my first real year so it's a learning year. I just want to get out there to get experience and will probably use the tires way past their max heat cycles because of the lack of funds.

This weekend is the first meeting (southern hemisphere) and I do not have time to heat cycle them. I understand that it may not be wise to run 'un-heat' cycled tires. The alternative is the old A008RSs (freebies) that I have been using for drivers school, etc last year.

I drive to the track rather than trailer it and space is at a premium. Is it OK to drive on the new Kumhos to the meeting (approx 60 miles to and then there's the return trip)? [For future races, I can bum space in another team's truck!]

I apologise for what may appear to be cheap-skate racing. It's a start.

Regards

Mac

[This message has been edited by ok_20_02 (edited January 29, 2004).]

Knestis
01-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Nothing wrong with cheapskate racing. In fact, it has its real attractions...

It's a bummer that driving on the road isn't going to do much in terms of heat cycling your rubber. It IS however likely to impose some uneven wear on your new tires if you have racing amounts of camber on one or both ends.

The best answer is to understand that your first on-track session is going to be spent running them in - assuming that it is a priority as should be the case on the cheap.

There is a tendency for a lot of racers - club and otherwise - to treat every session as a homogenous 'get out there and go as fast as you can' opportunity. This is often not the most appropriate use of the time.

I'm in a similar un-heat-cycled boat but my first event (driver school) will be structured such that I won't have any choice but to run the tires in gradually. Set yourself up to do the same and you'll be AOK.

K

slackerjay
01-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Mac,

a racing budget is good....just work with it.

under ideal situations i would not advise driving the kumhos to the track. the above post gives you an idea why. if you have to they will be OK...just do the usual checks before going out on track.

as far as heat cycling, what you need to do: the first session out (practice) run about 5-7 laps getting the tires up to aprox 180 degree operating temp and come in. let the tires cool as long as possible. 24 hours is ideal. since your on a budget the heat cycle process will be very important to get the most life out of your tires. when the tire reaches about 180 degrees for the first time and cools, the rubber bonds together better thus giving more life out of the tire. hope this helps...

~jay
KUMHO TIRES

racer_tim
01-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Mac, Tire Rack can heat-cycle in your tires for you. They also can shave them, for when you want to get competitive. For school, don't bother shaving them. Toyo's would be a different story.

That might be the best cost effective solution, that's if you haven't purchased them yet.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html