PDA

View Full Version : Tire/wheel valve stems???????

rsportvolvo
01-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Is anyone using aluminum wheel valves? If so where did you purchase them? I would like to replace the rubber wheel valves that came on my wheels. Any leads?

David

jc836
01-02-2004, 09:29 PM
You can buy metal valve stems at most tire stores that sell alloy wheels like NTB. Summit, Jegs and NAPA should also have them available.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited January 02, 2004).]

rsportvolvo
01-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by jc836:
You can buy metal valve stems at most tire stores that sell alloy wheels like NTB. Summit, Jegs and NAPA should also have them available.

Thanks for the info. I am already aware of that and bought some from the Tire Rack. My complaint is that they aren't exactly light. I would prefer to get some aluminum ones. I'm sure someone knows where to get some aluminum wheel valves without having to order from Europe.

David

Tom Blaney
01-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by rsportvolvo:
Is anyone using aluminum wheel valves? If so where did you purchase them? I would like to replace the rubber wheel valves that came on my wheels. Any leads?

David

A little word of warning, the hard valve stems are a lot easier to break during a little wheel to wheel, the stock rubber is a little more forgiving. Just a thought ...

rsportvolvo
01-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Tom Blaney:

A little word of warning, the hard valve stems are a lot easier to break during a little wheel to wheel, the stock rubber is a little more forgiving. Just a thought ...

Only if the wheel valve sticks out that far. My wheel valves are next to the rim spokes, which are @ 2" from the wheel lip.

David

megmeyer
01-04-2004, 09:28 AM
David, where are you located?

Our national at Pocono used to be right after NASCAR, and we paddock right where the goodyear guys did, and there were about 50 or more gasketed, metal valve stem covers laying all over the ground. I don't use them, but my friend who drives a club ford had a bunch of us picking them up for him. So, go to a nascar track after the race, and look around.

Meg

PS - my bad, I did not read the whole beginning (that you were talking about the whole stem)

[This message has been edited by megmeyer (edited January 04, 2004).]

philstireservice
01-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Tom Blaney:

I agree a 100%. I use rubber valves also...they give before they break .............a stock passenger rubber valve stem is good up to 65psi......there are two kinds, US and imports...you can usually tell by the valve core....

------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST1
www.philstireservice.com
Amsoil Dealer
distributor for FireCharger AFFF fire systems
Hoosier Tire Dealer
Toyo Tire Dealer

o2002
01-19-2004, 08:01 PM
http://www.myerstiresupply.com/PDF/myers_s...0Accesories.PDF (http://www.myerstiresupply.com/PDF/myers_section_pdf/Valves%20&%20Valve%20Accesories.PDF)

The link is to a .pdf catalog section from Myer's Tire Supply.

On page two of the file (catalog pg 15), there's the LIGHT WEIGHT ALLOY VALVE that fits the standard 0.453" rim hole. Order #22-001, MFG # H-523MS.

Yeah, and if ya gotta lose that last bit of weight, ditch the cap & replace it with the AIRCRAFT VALVE CAP on .pdf page 6 (catalog pg 19.

john a

JackH55
01-21-2004, 11:47 PM
As already stated.
Use the shortest rubber valve stems you can use. Bob Vilven told me this 25 years ago and he repeated it last season.

Jack