PDA

View Full Version : Sunroofs

Mr. Noodles
01-14-2004, 12:41 AM
In reading the 2003 GCR, I'm confused as to how to handle the situation of a 1990 CRX Si with a sunroof. Can I just leave it in place as is? Do I have to add additional securing scraps similar to windshield clips if left in oe condition. Can I remove all traces of it and rivet on a roof skin from a non sunroofed CRX? Can I remove all the existing frame support and simply weld/tab the metal sunroof in place? The cage is going in shortly and I'd like to understand my options. Checked the search function and couldn't find any discussions on this subject.

Thank you,

Robert J.

dickita15
01-14-2004, 09:10 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Mr. Noodles:
[B] Can I just leave it in place as is?
probably not. most tech inspectors would not think that was secure

Do I have to add additional securing scraps similar to windshield clips if left in oe condition.
you can

Can I remove all traces of it and rivet on a roof skin from a non sunroofed CRX?
yes you can

Can I remove all the existing frame support and simply weld/tab the metal sunroof in place?
yes you can

some people take the easy path
some people take the most atractive path
some people take the lightest path

Thank you,
your welcome

dick

Fleetcare
01-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Here is my how to
http://www.want2race.net/racecar/howto/roof.htm

gran racing
01-14-2004, 11:23 PM
I guess I took the easy route. I bought some sheet metal (check the necessary thickness), made a card board stencil (make it about 1 1/2" bigger than the hole from the sun roof), then rivit it in. Use something to prop up the middle of the sheet metal from inside the car such as a photo tripod (otherwise it won't fit properly).

Make sure to put a bead of sealer to prevent water from coming in.

I am very happy with the way it turned out. The only negative side is you can see the rivits. I can e-mail you pics if you are thinking of doing it this way. Just let me know.

[email protected]

Mr. Noodles
01-15-2004, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the quick response and the ideas guys. Fleetcar, looks good but I'm curious as to what you did with respect to the gap at the sunroofs perimeter to prevent leakage.Gran racing, could email me the pictures.

Regards,

Robert J.

Fleetcare
01-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Noodles:
Thanks for the quick response and the ideas guys. Fleetcar, looks good but I'm curious as to what you did with respect to the gap at the sunroofs perimeter to prevent leakage.Gran racing, could email me the pictures.

Regards,

Robert J.

I never had rain as an issue.. But if it were to happen I had a foam weather stripping from home depot that could be forced into the gap and would be flush with the sheet metal panels

Chris Sawatsky
01-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Why didn't you just fill in the entire seam with putty?

Fleetcare
01-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Chris Sawatsky:
Why didn't you just fill in the entire seam with putty?

it could crack.. and i just copied what the other guys in the region had done

gran racing
01-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Robert - what is your e-mail address?

Dave

Mr. Noodles
01-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Fleetcare:
I never had rain as an issue.. But if it were to happen I had a foam weather stripping from home depot that could be forced into the gap and would be flush with the sheet metal panels

Fleetcare: Wow, I'm jealous of your weather. Here on the Wet Coast of Canada, it rains more often than the sun shines. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

Gran racing: You can email me via rob-shel(at)uniserve.com.

Thank you,
RDJ

[This message has been edited by Mr. Noodles (edited January 15, 2004).]