PDA

View Full Version : paint removal methods??

MMiskoe
01-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Does anyone have experience w/ removing multi layers of paint from a car?

I'm re-painting my IT car which has been painted (whole car) at least twice previously, beyond its OEM paint. The surface in many places has little "mud cracks" in it because the stuff underneath is so thick.

A single edge razor takes off the first layer pretty readily, but the sealer underneath that, then the previous coat(s) and their sealers are pretty well adheared. The OEM first primer (to metal) is in good shape, but getting the stuff on top of it creates lots of nicks.

Any chemical strippers that will help soften up the top layers? Or do I just buy a case of single edge razors & a case of 50 grit paper for the DA?

jc836
01-12-2004, 08:15 AM
If you are very intent on removing ALL of the paint then a chemical stripper is the best way short of having the tub done in a stripping tank. This latter method is actually the best of them all. If you use the aircraft stripper be prepard to get the surface completely clean and primered immediately.
Sanding with 50 is a bit on the agressive side-try 80 or even 120 so that you do not gouge to bare metal. Also keep in mind that many IT cars have a lot of plastic pieces and they need to be dealt with in a more gentle manner. The best thing I can suggest is to take you time and remove as much as you have to on a full panel. That way will make it much easier for doing finish work.
Our CRX has the original paint scuffed severely and then as many as 5 coats of primer/surfacer and guide coats to get the panels straight. There is almost NO filler since the shop did it the old fashioned way-hammer and dolly method. Actually the car was pretty good except for the hail damage they removed. Then the process of painting with color coats began. If memory serves me there are 5 color and 3 clear all lacquer.
Good luck and be very careful with the blades.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

joeg
01-12-2004, 08:21 AM
A product called "Aircraft Stripper".

There are only two ways to remove paint-- chemical and mechanical.

Sorry, I have never heard of single edge blade, single layer scraping as one of the recognized mechanical means (e.g., grinding or media blasting).

The problem with chemicals are odor, toxicity and clean-up, but it works about the best.

I would suspect that you may also have some bondo under the paint too, which can crack. Chemical stripper does not work well on bondo, but it will soften it up.

Good luck.

Ron
01-12-2004, 01:08 PM
There is one other way. Its called a torch lamp madeby Smith Victor Corp. It is a 600 watt lamp that you hold in your hand and make slow 6 inch circles over the paint. with the other hand you take a 3 inch razor scraper and peel up the paint. All the paint in one shot! It comes off in large shavings. It works great and there are little fumes and no sanding dust. Takes about 3 hours to do an entire car. Do keep it away from plastic and rubber. It is als great for removing decals under coating etc.. It replaces a heat gun and it is much hotter. They cost about $175.00

Chris Eastwood
01-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Aircraft stripper!!! It will work great, but be very care!!! It will also take of your skin if you are not careful.

joeg
01-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Chris--From experience, you are absolutly correct. Very effective, but quite painful!

MMiskoe
01-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks. I have seen that stuff for sale, but I have also seen lots of stuff like 5" chrome exhaust tips in the same stores.

The plastic is not a problem it came from a donor car that only had factory paint.

Joeg - the single edge razor blade may not be on the approved list of methods for paint removal. But when you're self taught on something & therefore don't know any better, nothing is out of the question. A short bristle wire brush on a 7" grinder works great too, but makes a mess & can overheat the panel.

joeg
01-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Actually, your razor blade qualifies as a "mechanical" means of paint removal. It is too time consuming, however.

Aircraft Stripper is powerful stuff!

Silkworm
01-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Wear goggles, I got that stuff in my eye once, burned like hell for about 24 hours.. Flushed the eye constantly, and fortunately no damage.

PaulC

ASHog
01-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Get some Aircraft Stripper (brand name)from any real auto paint store. Wear gloves and goggles. Stuff will take all of the paint off - Be patient, it will quit bubbling when all of the reagent is done. Scrape it off, and add more. Stuff is neutralized by water, and keep a hose handy. Do not get any on anything painted that you want to keep painted. Have fun...
Jerry Lee

------------------
Jerry Lee
Witchdoctormotorsports