PDA

View Full Version : Seat recommendations - alum or composite?

BulldogRS
01-05-2004, 01:39 AM
I really need to upgrade my seat. Currently, I have a Corbo Forza tube frame seat which, I believe, is about as sturdy as a lawn chair...plus the back brace on my tube frame doesn't sit well with me.

Can someone educate me on the differences in the Kirky style aluminum seat vs. the composites? This is strickly about safety. I would like to stay away from any seat that requires a back brace and would like to mount the seat lower than the stock-style sliders offer.

The car is a 90 ITA Integra.

Thanks
Greg

joeg
01-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Greg--I did not think that there were any "FIA" rated aluminum race seats. You need the FIA rating (along with the manufacturer's installation recommendation)in order not to have to back brace the seat.

Which are better? Completely personal preference. I have an aluminum (a Kirkey) in my P car and a Recaro in my IT car. For the "sprint" racing we do, both work fine.

Knestis
01-05-2004, 08:55 AM
The idea of a rigid brace pointing at my spine has always scared the bejeebers out of me so I went with the FIA/no-brace option.

If you do choose aluminum, consider a semi-rigid back brace - like a bent aluminum sheet - that will fail rather than spear you if you are hit in the rear or back into a wall.

K

jc836
01-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Personal experience says to go and test fit yourself in several different seats. I wound up with a SPARCO REV since it is the best fit for me and is full FIA tagged. Both Sparco and MOMO have something to meet the rules. I've also used Butler, Richardson, Kirkey and even sat in one of Randy LaJoie's. By far the most comfy overall is still the REV for my 5'10-1/2" 150 pound body. The oval track seats are very confining and are indeed proven safe, but may not meet the back brace requirement. I do agree with many that the brace is not a favorite idea.
So-do find a place that has an assortment (OG Racing for one) to try out. Be sure to take your firesuit along too.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

grjones1
01-05-2004, 11:22 AM
The car is a 90 ITA Integra.

Thanks
Greg[/B][/QUOTE]
Greg,
I've recommended this on another chat, but I'll say it again: Do yourself a favor and check out the Butler-Built (Charlotte, NC)aluminum. So comfy I fall asleep on the false grid, light, strong, and fitted to your size as part of the price, and the Butler people give you all tech advice and fitments without hesitation. Good quality stuff at a fair price.
GRJ

gsbaker
01-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Good advice so far on the aluminum seats.

These guys have a very interesting line of composite seats. Most are FIA rated, but they can get pricey.

http://www.racetech.co.nz/

There is a west coast outlet.

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

Turfer
01-05-2004, 06:01 PM
If you do choose aluminum, consider a semi-rigid back brace - like a bent aluminum sheet - that will fail rather than spear you if you are hit in the rear or back into a wall.

K[/B]

Using a collapsable type brace may keep the seat in a more reclined, post impact position leaving the belts loose. A lot of collisions involve more than one impact.

It would probably be better to go with a mini shock absorber/spring(ie rollercoaster suspension) so that after the first impact the seat returns to its original position and keeps the occupant secure within the shoulder belts.

Rick

PS--Greg EMail sent on seat deal

pgipson
01-05-2004, 08:58 PM
For better or worse, I have a VERY rigid seat back brace on my Ultrashield aluminum 20 degree layback. The seat is bolted to the floor of my RX7 with a couple of 1.5 inch spacers under the front to give me a good angle. The seat is ok comfort wise for sprint races.

The seat back brace is 6 x 6 steel plate about 1/4 inch thick, welded to a U shaped arm. The arm extends to the cross bar on the cage and is held in place by a couple of u-bolts. The plate is then bolted to the seat back. I have used this same set up with every seat I have had in the car. It has taken a couple of hits (not from the rear) and the seat back has help up well. One of the hits did break the upper part of an aluminum seat (where my helmet hit), but the back stayed in place.

Geo
01-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by joeg:
You need the FIA rating (along with the manufacturer's installation recommendation)in order not to have to back brace the seat.

The manufacturer's installation recommendation is no longer required. That was changed because no manufacturer or distributor would issue such a letter. Greg Amy did excellent leg work on this and was no doubt instrumental in getting the change through.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

BulldogRS
01-06-2004, 01:24 AM
Good advice from all. I will probably go the FIA composite route and spend the extra buck to get away from the spinal tap potential.

Thanks to all the informed replies. I'll come here for the real world race input...

Greg
Bulldog 04 ITA Integra

itmanta
01-06-2004, 08:58 PM
I want to pass on how I went about securing my seatback. The thought of a solid tube pointed at my spine was not digestable so I went about the seat back brace a different way.

I made a large area plate that bolted to the seat back. Two pedestals were welded to the plate on a horizontal plane. I then welded a rod that was as wide as my back and is threaded on both ends to the pedestals also on the horizontal plane and parallel to the seat back. A plate was fabricated and welded to the rear rollcage crossbar. This plate has a series of holes to allow the seat to be adjusted. Two more rods were made and fitted with rod ends on both ends. With the two rods bolted together through the rear monting plate and then to each end of the tube at the seatback a triangle is formed making a very stable brace. The benefit is that the two rods that support the seat are aimed away from my body altogether
I hope you can follow my description as I cannot post a picture right now.

------------------
Peter Linssen
ITB Opel Manta
Pacific NW Region

Tak
01-08-2004, 10:28 PM
I also agree that a tubular seat back brace pointing at your spine is a bad idea. My seat back brace is Y shaped, and attaches to the side bolsters on my seat. Tech is fine with it.

In terms of aluminum vs composits. Aluminum bends and absorbs energy as it deforms in a crash. Composites break, without absorbing much energy.

I chose aluminum.

Tak
#29 ITA
SFR SCCA

bodyshop
01-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Geo:
The manufacturer's installation recommendation is no longer required. That was changed because no manufacturer or distributor would issue such a letter. Greg Amy did excellent leg work on this and was no doubt instrumental in getting the change through.

George,
Not questioning you, but where is this available in print at. I don't have my 2004 GCR yet. I looked through Fastrac for the last 14 months and didn't see it, did I just overlook it?

Thanks
Fred