PDA

View Full Version : Fuel

Racer5625
11-09-2003, 09:41 PM
I am building an '88 Honda DX for IT. For SCCA IT is race gas the only fuel allowed? Will pump gas pass the fuel test? If race gas is required, what octane?

jc836
11-09-2003, 11:43 PM
You can use any Unleaded fuel. I am running Sunoco 100 octane race fuel in the CRX and have used both 93 and 94 from the local gas station as well. You really do not need it to be that high if the engine is box stock. If your car requires Leaded fuel-Sunoco also has that available. These will pass the tech test.
Might I suggest that you go to the Sunoco website-they have some excellent tech info on their products written for us in plain English. They also happen to be the official supplier to SCCA and NASCAR in 2004.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

jhooten
11-11-2003, 10:47 PM
If you keep it emmisions legal, liscensed, and inspected you HAVE to run pump gas. If you remove the cat and other emmisions equipment you CAN run race gas.

jc836
11-12-2003, 08:01 AM
JHooten-I beg to differ with you on your reply. Again, go to the Sunoco website. I asked the question about UNLEADED race fuel versus the "street types" and the products are indeed emissions legal and safe. the exception is with LEADED gas and what it does to convertors - but more important what it can do to the valves and other internal components of engines designed for unleaded gas. The most important thing to remember is the way fuel burns and prevents knocking with higher Octane numbers.

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song

jhooten
11-12-2003, 05:11 PM
The question asked was what was "allowed" not what was best for the engine. The answer I gave was what the GCR and ITCS said.

So, if and IT car has the inspection and registration sticker on it it can only run what you can by at the corner gas station on the wat to the track. However, if the car has been "race preped" and has not liscense plate or inspection it would be legal to run 110 octane leaded race gas in it.

Note, I said legal to, I did not debate the merits of doing so. Also it should be noted that Sunoco does produce both a 100 and a 104 octane UNLEADED race fuel.

I am at work now so I cannot quote chaper and verse from the GCR.

jc836
11-12-2003, 06:12 PM
The GCR states 17.4.1, p116-117 the specifications for permitted fuels and the sampling requirements for Improved Touring. The rule generally states that the fuel must not contain certain performance enhancing compounds and that the DC must not exceed 15.

The original question asked whether or not "race gas" is required for use. The answer is NO-one may use any brand of pump gas consistent with the car makers requirements and the rules. Octane rating is not the issue. According to Sunoco engineers, using GT100 is perfectly acceptable in our CRX since it meets all of the requirement of both Honda and SCCA. If the original author wishes to run gasoline from the local pump with a rating of 87 that is fine as well. In any case-one is subject to a fuel test.

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited November 12, 2003).]

jhooten
11-13-2003, 01:16 AM
Now go to ITCS page 8-9 Section D.1.d.2

"Those vehicles which have emission control devices removed and which are not registered and liscensed for street operation may use any gasoline meeting the requirements of GCR Section 17.4., Fuel."

and Section D.1.d.3

"Those vehicles registered and liscensed for street use shall use the fuel specified by the workshop/owner's manual."

So the answer to the original question is no, race gas is not the only fuel allowed, and in fact if your IT race car is also your daily driver you are prohibited from running race gas in it per the ITCS.

jc836
11-13-2003, 06:37 AM
A couple of final thoughts.
You make mention of the lines in the ITCS. I do not dispute the wording. We must consider the reality that the original autor is possibly dealing with as to "pump gasoline" from the local dealer versus the fuel dump at the track. Allow me to expand.
After participating in a number of nationally sanctioned events in the past I can assure you that every car that chose to was fueled by the "Official supplier" without comment, but that was then. We could come to the track with any brand including "Amoco "white"/unleaded fuel. True some folks were creative and used Aviation gas and additives. Thus, the rules as we have them today. I go to Watkins Glen and do buy fuel there for my CRX. Is it proper for me to do so with a car such as this one?
YES actually it is since the Shop Manual has nothing stated about a required fuel. Honda spec's a minimum Octane rating in its dealer literature and not much else for the older cars. According to Sunoco-the GT100 is street legal and is sold by independent dealers. I seriously doubt that a track with a fuel supply will opt to install equipment to dispense a variety of fuels when 1 unleaded and one leaded grade are all that are usually needed to satisfy the majority of competitors. Keep in mind that the Fuel test is staring everyone equally.
To the author-if you are driving the car on the street and want to use 89 Octane for that and the track, I see no problem with it since both of them and 93 will pass the fuel test. Really concerned-buy a 5 gallon jog and take it to the track. If you are offered "race gas" from the Official Supplier's supply at the track be sure to use the correct type.

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song