PDA

View Full Version : painting a helmet

Chris Eastwood
07-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi once agian folks,
I know this might sound like an odd question , but does anyone know where to buy fire retardent paint? A gentleman at the snell foundaition said that is whats used when racing helmets are painted. Besides Bell whats $125 for repainting a helmet.
Thanks,
Christopher Eastwood
I like my beer like my life, dark and bitter.

dickita15
07-16-2003, 01:53 PM
wow, the only fire retardent paint i have come across is an interior latex used for things like ceilings in nursing homes. hard to belive that is what you want.
dick

Speed Raycer
07-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what happens to a helmet when painted? I've heard of several possible issues but have never heard anything concrete.

------------------
Scott
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it

<A HREF="http://www.pfmracing.com" TARGET=_blank> http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/PFMSigPic.jpg
www.pfmracing.com </A>

Geo
07-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Speed Raycer:
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what happens to a helmet when painted?

It looks cool? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

I doubt it does anything worth talking about. It's a fiberglass or multiple composite shell with gelcoat. I'm sure it does nothing bad otherwise pros from F1 on down wouldn't have painted helmets.

I also doubt they use fire resistant paint.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

gsbaker
07-16-2003, 04:56 PM
There appears to be something to it, but I don't have the details.

I know that FIA has a helmet certification rule regarding how long the helmet can be exposed to a certain temperature flame before there is a specified level of degradation.

There is probably something similar fron Snell.

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

Chris Wire
07-16-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Geo:
I doubt it does anything worth talking about. It's a fiberglass or multiple composite shell with gelcoat. I'm sure it does nothing bad otherwise pros from F1 on down wouldn't have painted helmets.

I also doubt they use fire resistant paint.

Simpson actually has a silver option for all its helmets, although they only advertise it for the Bandit. Costs around $75. Don't think there is anything special about the paint though.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

HBennett
07-17-2003, 08:48 AM
According to the Snell Foundation and the SA Testing Standards:

"Cosmetic changes to certified headgear is permissable. Such changes are generally limited to marking or trimming the headgear with manufacturer approved paint or tape.

Otherwise, modification of certified headgear creates new headgear which will not have the confidence and certification of the Foundation until sample have been submitted and evaluated. Manufacturers must not place the Foundation's certification label in any modified headgear for which they have not received written certification.

After-market modifiers of such certified headgear should be aware that any structural modification may adversely affect a helmet's protective capability and therefore invalidate the certification."

The outer shell of an SA-rated helmet does have to pass fire retardency test (or rather a flame self-extinguishing test) also. Not many manufacturers that I have seen (even us) does not post an approved paint listing. We don't really recommend painting or modifying our helmets because of the Snell certification.

However, with that being said there is a lot of people painting their helmets. It's more important to them to be stylish. I guess they figure if there helmet is on fire, they have a more important things to be thinking about. Leave the F1 and upper echelon of professional racing out of it as they have practically unlimited budget and one of their custom painted helmets can cost as much as one of an amateurs car.

There are some companies that does custom painting. Try checking with someone like Troy Lee Designs.

Howard Bennett
G-Force Racing Gear

Fleetcare
07-17-2003, 02:31 PM
go to a hobby shop and ask for lexan paint.
You will need an airbrush although there are cans available..

That stsuff syicks like hell and doesnt burn!

ROBTRLRDR
07-17-2003, 05:02 PM
i've been painting helmets for years and a good custom paint job will cost a bit. but the disclaimer above is to cover some butts if the helmet is not oem.
look around at some local custom shops or go to a hobby shop and "diy" if you mess it up just sand and do it over. also you get what you pay for still applies here. the better quality paints cost alot more and look and hold up better than hobby paints.
good luck
robert

Geo
07-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by HBennett:
However, with that being said there is a lot of people painting their helmets. It's more important to them to be stylish. I guess they figure if there helmet is on fire, they have a more important things to be thinking about. Leave the F1 and upper echelon of professional racing out of it as they have practically unlimited budget and one of their custom painted helmets can cost as much as one of an amateurs car.

There are some companies that does custom painting. Try checking with someone like Troy Lee Designs.

I'm about to get my new G-Force Forced Air helmet painted. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif I'll probably use Troy Lee or another professional painter. Anyway, I don't think think they use any special paint. I could be wrong, but I guess I'll ask.

As for the cost of a professionally painted helmet, the vast majority of the cost is due to the design and not the paint. I've received a quote of $500 for the scheme I've used for 15 years. I've seen some pro helmets on Troy Lee's site listed at $600 or less. I think there is a great deal of butt covering going on (not pointing fingers Howard) by everyone involved, thanks to our litigious (sp?) society. Only a few years back Simpson and Bell used mention something about painting their helmets in the literature that they came with.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

GKR_17
07-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Krylon worked well for me.

Tom Donnelly
07-24-2003, 04:04 PM
I painted my by scraping the trailer floor, car floorboards and part of the rollcage.
And a stack of tires.
Looks real avant-guard and was cheap too.
No problems so far.

rlekun
07-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Damn, Tom! I copyrighted that painting process! My new helmet looks so boring without all the scuff marks http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

On a serious not, SportsCar magazine did an article on painting helmets a couple of years ago which I hung on to. The only advise on paint the pro's gave was to use a paint with a hardner.

Chris Eastwood
09-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Hi guys,
I'm fixxing to paint my helmet tonight. I found this paint it's called "metalcast".
If it comes out nice and you want to see it I'll send you some pictures. Or I will be at the sept. race at daytona.
Just thought someone might like to know.
Chris

gsbaker
09-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Chris Eastwood:
Hi guys,
I'm fixxing to paint my helmet tonight. I found this paint it's called "metalcast".
If it comes out nice and you want to see it I'll send you some pictures. Or I will be at the sept. race at daytona.
Just thought someone might like to know.
Chris

Chris,

I'd like to see it at Daytona. Shoot me an e-mail so we can hook up.

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]