PDA

View Full Version : Phantom grip LSD

FordGT4
08-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Looking for some first hand racer feedback on Phantom grip LSD, both in general and if poss specifically compared to a Quaife ATB.

Most of their apps seem to FWD imports, so given the growing popularity of these cars in IT & Prod, figured some of you might have tried them.

I'm running a FWD GT4 car (9 1/2" front tires, Quaife ATB diff) and am still loosing traction on inside wheel in tight corners at anything over 1/2 throttle. I know a few "adapt" thier driving to use a welded diff, but this just seems so agricultural and must give the driveshafts and CV's a very hard time.

Any feedback greatly appreciated, Thanks,

Bill Davidson.

planet6racing
08-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Well, several member of the Saturn Performance Club have tried them and have changed the name to "Phantom Slip." They saw no difference with or without the PG installed.

Example: One user lives in MN. He stopped one day with one front tire on ice, the other on dry pavement. The wheel on ice spun at anything other than idle, and the wheel on the blacktop went nowhere.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

joeg
08-06-2003, 04:18 PM
First Hand? Yes...I concur.

You cannot compare the two.

The Phantom could possibly work if you put gorilla springs in it.

Waldo
09-01-2003, 12:20 AM
I have one in my 240sx AutoX car. I have their race springs installed. I like to call it the "ghetto grip".

I wasted my money don't waste yours!

Kaneda13
09-01-2003, 06:18 PM
I can't say FIRST hand from driving, but i've ridden in a 2nd gen CRX with one, and I won't have beleaved he had it, except that i just trust him when he said he did. Sounds like 0-4 against the PG.

slickS14
09-02-2003, 09:31 PM
I have run the PG for five races in my ITS car... Its been 4 and a half too long! We spoke to their tech guy about it and they acknowledge that the springs are not suitable for "true" racing. They offered to replace the springs in the unit if we sent it back with "new and improved" ones but he couldn't guarantee a turn around in the three weeks I needed it back! Nice customer support. It will make a nice paper weight next week when I replace it with a real locker.

Tyson
09-02-2003, 10:13 PM
so you got a direct admission from PG tech that its not suitable for racing?! well, there you go.