PDA

View Full Version : Oil line to mechanical pressure gauge

rlekun
08-04-2003, 05:39 PM
The copper oil line to my oil pressure gauge sheared off at the compression fitting on the engine block. Oil dumped under rear tires and I enjoyed a nice high speed spin on a straight!

I'm guessing the line is not designed for the vibrations of racing (this was only the second race weekend on the line). Any one have this happen? I'm thinking that I should put a short run of flexible braided line off the block to handle the vibration.
Thoughts?

Eagle7
08-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Electric gauge.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

x-ring
08-04-2003, 08:29 PM
The only problem with an electric gauge is that I've not been able to find one with more than a 90 degree sweep. Is there such a gauge and, if so, who makes it and where can I get one?

Mechanical gauges usually have a 270 degree sweep and, to me, are much easier to read quickly.

To answer rlekun's question, Summet racing has a braided line kit for mechanical oil pressure gauges. It's a little spendy, but still less than buying the parts seperately and then you have braided hose all the way from the engine to the gauge.

Ty

Geo
08-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by x-ring:
The only problem with an electric gauge is that I've not been able to find one with more than a 90 degree sweep. Is there such a gauge and, if so, who makes it and where can I get one?

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=E...eries=EVA&Cart= (http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=Elec_Engine_Pressure&Series=EVA&Cart=)

http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

x-ring
08-04-2003, 11:43 PM
Thanks, George. They're a lot cheaper than a mech gauge and a braided hose and fitting kit.

Ty

joeg
08-05-2003, 07:57 AM
NO COPPER--EVER!

Very dangerous.The braided stainless is not really that expensive.

ITSRX7
08-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Autometer alsp has a few choices. Their 'full sweep electric guages' come in WT, FP, OP and OT...

Also, you mean 180 degrees, not 90, correct?

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

x-ring
08-05-2003, 10:43 AM
No, I did mean 90 degrees. Looking at the Autometer gauge pictures in the Summit Racing catalog, the numbers on the gauge face begin at about 10 o'clock and end at about 2 o'clock. One of the descriptions states that the electric gauges have a 90 degree sweep. OTOH, looking at the pictures of the gauges, the indicator needle does seem to have a little longer sweep than the numbers would lead you to believe, but that would be at the extreme ends of the scale and not of much use.

It doesn't look like Summit Racing has the 'full sweep electric gauges' that you refer to, but I'll Google for them and see what turns up. Where have you seen and/or bought them Andy?

BTW, I keep referring to Summit Racing because their catalog is full of great illustrations. I usually buy from Pegasus as they are a bit more in tune with our type of racing.

Ty

JohnRW
08-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Both Summit and JEGS offer -3 and -4 braided flex brake hose lines. So do all the roundy-round retailers, like Coleman Machine and Lefthander.

Does your gauge know the difference between an "flex oil pressure line" and a "flex brake hose" ? No. Only your wallet knows.

A 60" -3 braided stainless hose with end fittings (already assembed) from Coleman is a roaring $23. If you want a 90 degree fitting on one end, it jumps to a horrifying $32. -3 to 1/8" NPT adapters are $3 each. They will do custom lengths, if you need something longer.

Electrical gauges suck. They always have, and they always will. Stick with mechanical gauges, where you can have sweeps of 270 deg.

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited August 05, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited August 05, 2003).]

ITSRX7
08-05-2003, 02:51 PM
Go to www.autometer.com (http://www.autometer.com)

Click on the gauge pod unde rthe logo, click oin the 2003 Product catalogue, then under "Racing" there is section 70.

There you will find the Pro Comp full sweep stuff.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

MMiskoe
08-05-2003, 09:31 PM
The plastic lines work fine, not sure if its nylon or polypropylene (probably polypro). You can usually pick one of those up as a kit w/o the gauge at any place that sells autopower guages. If it needs to get past a hot spot or rough spot you can use an 1/8" pipe nipple, most every oil pressure fitting I've ever seen is 1/8" pipe thread.

tderonne
08-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by MMiskoe:
The plastic lines work fine, not sure if its nylon or polypropylene (probably polypro).

Just FYI. Not legal inside the cockpit per GCR 17.34

In part:
"All fuel and oil lines, including gauge....shall be of steel tube or metal braided hoses or bulkheaded."

jc836
08-05-2003, 10:22 PM
We opted for the Autometer Mechanical with their braided hose kit. The hose is 6' and cost about $50. Meets the rule that spec's that you must use this type of material if you bring the line in to the gauge. If you go electric that is a different story and I would suggest a braided line from the block to a TEE on the firewall. Copper and Nylon are not suitable for racing applications.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow